Chapter 5: Harder than it looks

Marina opened her eyes and appeared to be in a dark, empty place. She had no idea how she got there, but automatically moved her legs in search of an exit. She desperately called for Steven and Wallace, but to no avail. She checked her pockets to find Grace's pokeball, but it wasn't there.

There were no walls, doors, no portals to escape and she grew more worried, thinking that she's going to stay trapped here forever.

But then, Marina noticed a bright orange light over the horizon, radiating a warm, loving aura.

Curious about what it is, the blue haired woman drew closer to it and saw that it was a very tall woman with flowing purple, pink and orange hair wearing a white, silky dress that touched the ground, smiling at her broadly.

"Marina." The mysterious woman called, with a warm, benevolent tone that gave Marina tingles.

"Who are you?" Marina asked the floating woman.

She replies in a polite manner, "My name is Nova and I'm the guardian of the pokemon world."

Marina tilts her head, "G-Guardian of the pokemon world?"

"Yes." And with a snap of her fingers, multiple images appear around them, all at once. "My duty is to make sure everyone in this world is safe and secure."

Then, Marina had another query, "W-What about the people who are in, you know, distress?"

"That's simple. I just come to their aid and help them out."

Then, it clicked, "I-Is that why I'm here? Y-You want to help me?"

Nova shook her head, "Once I heard about your 'situation', I knew deep in my heart that I needed to help you. I couldn't stand to see you suffer any longer."

"You were right about that."

She continued, "But I had to do it in a way that no one could notice and that's why I sent both Steven and Wallace to locate you. It was the only way."

Marina attempts to hold back tears, wishing that she never ran off. Wishing that she just told her folks what went on that day. Wishing that she had a normal life and didn't have any fears attached to her psyche.

But it wasn't enough to handle, and she couldn't fight the tears any longer, "I wish I never ran away."

Nova gave her a comforting hug, "There there. The important thing is that you're alive thanks to Steven and Wallace and because of them, you've been given a second chance to pursue your dreams and live the life the way you want. I'm sure that's what you want, isn't it?"

"Mmhm"

Once they parted, Nova asked Marina a very important question, "Marina, what are your goals right now? Tell me."

"Umm," Marina was nervous to get the words out of her mouth, flustered even, given the fact that she's standing in the presence of a literal god-like entity. It was all too much to take in.

Then, she spewed it out, "I want to travel the world so my pokemon and I can get stronger."

And she wasn't done there, "I also want to see my family again, so I can tell them I'm still alive and doing well."

Nova was intrigued by her words, "Those goals sound lovely, Marina. I'm very certain that you will achieve them in due time."

It gave Marina some reassurance. One day, she'll be the strongest trainer in the world and will make sure her family is around for that.

"Before I go, I got you a little something." Using her powers to make it appear, Nova hands Marina a Pokeball. "Here, it's one of the hoenn starters. I believe you need more than one pokemon if you're going to start your journey."