Chapter 9: Closer

Marina quietly tiptoed her way into the corridor and past the kitchen, approaching the backyard. Once outside, she slowly slid the door shut and released her two pokemon, who were unsure why their trainer was even awake this late at night.

Knowing Marina, there's probably a good explanation.

"So, why did you drag us to your brother's backyard at 5 am?" Karen inquired.

Marina responded with a yawn, "Because I heard something coming from this area and I'm eager to know what it could be."

"A pokemon?"

"Maybe. Just maybe"

"I hope it's just a Pokemon and not some crackhead breaking in."

"Yeah, Hugo has mentioned that before. Slateport isn't what it used to be, according to him that is."

"Yikes."

Grace stayed silent the whole time while listening to the two's conversation. That is until she sensed something shaking in the bushes nearby. She got closer to investigate as the shakes got more intense.

Marina took notice, finally bringing her attention to her Ralts, "Grace, did you find something?"

Then, an orange pokemon jumped out of the bushes, spooking the gang a bit.

"Please don't be scared. I mean you no harm" The Trapinch explained, "I'm only here to look for food."

Marina, as well as her two Pokemon were a bit confused. Usually, those types of mons are found in the desert, but what was one doing here? Was it a wild one that stumbled here on its own or did it have a trainer that just released it? Either way, Marina had a feeling that it was alone.

"Food, huh? I'll be right back." Marina went back inside, quietly so as to not disturb her sleeping brother. She went into the fridge and grabbed a handful of oran berries before returning outside.

"Here you go." She said softly, placing the berries on the ground.

The Trapinch thanked her humbly, quickly eating the berries.

"Catch it." Karen suggested.

"Why?" Marina asked.

"It's distracted by the food. If you catch it now, it won't come out."

"That does sound like a plan," Marina agreed.

But there was a small problem; Marina didn't have any Pokeballs on hand. She could just go back inside and pick up some balls from her backpack, but she thought that was tedious going back and forth.

Instead, she wanted to learn more about the Trapinch and where it actually came from. To her, it was the right thing to do.

"Where did you come from?" Marina kindly asked.

"I was recently released from my trainer. She never used me in battle and overall, neglected my needs."

Marina felt a bit heartbroken, "Oh dear. I'm sorry to hear that."

"It's okay. I'm glad to be far away from her."

"Yeah, fuck that bitch." Karen commented, bluntly.

"Karen!" Marina snapped.

In return, Karen got annoyed, "C'mon, it's the truth."

Bringing her attention back to the Trapinch, Marina asked, "Well, do you want to join us?"

The Trapinch nodded gleefully, and Marina gained another member of her team. She names her new pokemon 'Sheldon' and as everyone was making their way back inside, they are stopped by Hugo, who was wearing long, light purple polka dot sleepwear.