Chapter 7: Slowly Sprouting

Four days have gone by, and it was time for Marina to finally face the Rustboro gym leader, but despite all of the training she and her pokemon have endured prior to this, she wasn't excited about it.

In fact, just thinking about the battle made her anxious, since she'll be facing someone who will test her strength and not some random trainer seeking a battle out of nowhere.

And even if Steven and Wallace were going to cheer her on, it still didn't calm the nerves raging inside her.

So, Marina swiftly changed from her pajamas and into a lilac pullover with Galarian Rapidash plastered on it, dark gray sweatpants and the same midnight blue faded sneakers. She lunged for her backpack and headed out of her room to tell both Steven and Wallace that she's ready for breakfast.

And once they made it to the cafeteria, everybody ate to their heart's content, except for Marina, who was only able to eat a small bowl of oatmeal and a few cups of orange juice. She tried to ease her mind by remaining quiet while Wallace spoke to her about the plan.

"Since Steven and I can't actually go inside the gym due to the rules of the Pokemon league..." Wallace explains, full of excitement.

Wait a minute. They're both part of the Pokemon league? Marina was stunned.

Wallace opened his bag in search of the wigs and shades, delighted to showcase them, "We'll be in disguise cheering you on, hun. It's the only way."

"Are you sure about this, Walls?" Steven gave him a puzzled look, doubting this whole plan already and fearing that he and Wallace might get caught and have to give up their titles as champion and gym leader respectively.

But to see Marina battle, cheering her on, observing her strategy, it was all worth the risk.

"Positive. Besides, we're doing this for Marina aren't we?"

Marina wasn't too sure how she felt about the idea of these two men, the men that came to her aid all those weeks ago, dressing up as random people, but if it's only for them to support her, she had no other choice but to go with it.

"Are you guys going to only wear wigs?" Marina politely asked while giving her Pokemon more food.

Wallace solemnly responded with a smile, "Not just wigs, makeup, too."

Steven stopped him there, "Wait, you're not going to make me wear makeup, are you?"

"Not at all, Steven. All you need is shades and an outfit change."

So, they finished up their meals and the two men went back into the room to quickly change outfits and Marina called back her pokemon and frantically ran to the nearest restroom. Was it her nerves or did she simply drink too much orange juice at the cafeteria? Either way, it was urgent and no way in hell was the woman going to have an accident on this very big day.

A couple of minutes later, Marina emerges from the restroom, only to see Wallace, wearing a long, wavy, neon purple wig, heavy makeup, a bright yellow shirt that was way too small for him, his usual white slacks and purple shoes to match his wig. As for Steven, he wore a long, black wig, an oversized white t-shirt that said, 'Got Moo Moo Milk?', black work pants and his usual business shoes.

Sure, they both looked ridiculous, but there was no time to worry about that. Right now, it was time for Marina to head to the gym, and hopefully, receive a gym badge.

But as they were doing that, Mr. Stone stops them in their tracks, causing Marina's shoulders to tense up and her stomach to do flips upon seeing him again.

"Thank god I found you guys. There's something I need to say to Marina." He said, completely ignoring the insane outfits Steven and Wallace were wearing.