Chapter 10: Home (Part 1)

Content warning for past abuse.

-----

She couldn't believe it.

After many months of traveling, Marina has finally made it back to Maulville city, her hometown, and the memories are starting to come back to her.

However, despite remembering all the places she used to go and hang out at, the blue haired woman wasn't excited about it, at all. Instead, she remained quiet, showing no emotion whatsoever as she was preparing for the big day. Sending out her pokemon, Marina gave them each a post-it note, stating that it was time to meet the parents. Grace only nodded, respectfully before going back into her PokeBall and Sheldon did the same. Karen, however, was questioning her trainer's behavior about all of this. Shouldn't Marina be more excited to see her parents after disappearing for such a long period of time?

Normally yes, but that wasn't the case. Marina told her Grovyle to drop it, feeling annoyed that her pokemon had the audacity to ask about her parents. This whole thing only made the trainer even more anxious than before, and while the thought of backing out crossed her mind, Marina heard a knock on the door.

"Marina, you ready to go?" Steven asked her.

Marina puffed, "Let's get this over with." As she opened the door, she saw Steven in his usual suit and Wallace wearing a baby blue cardigan and white slacks, holding two yogurt parfaits, handing the one label 'vegan' to her. "Here you go, Marina. I need you to have some kind of energy today."

Marina wasn't feeling hungry, but took small bites of the little snack anyway because she knew Wallace was right and no way she was going to faint during this big day. After she was done, they all went outside, heading north to Marina's childhood home. The woman hid her face inside her hoodie so that no one in the city notices her and held both of the men's hands tightly, leaving the two shocked that she was letting them do this.

"Steven? Wallace? Is that you?" Called an old man wearing a yellow jumpsuit across the street. He walked closer to them, but as he did so, he recognized the blue-haired woman that was with them. "Could that be, the MacAuley's daughter?"

"Oh my..." Wallace said.

"Holy shit, Wattson." Steven said in a rush, "Didn't think I would bump into you, today. What's up?"

"I was on my way back to the gym when I noticed you and Wallace were coming this way. Then, recognized this lovely lady right here, thinking it was the MacAluley's only daughter." Wattson took a glance at Marina, ecstatically, "Turns out I was correct and I'm so glad these two men found you, Marina."

Of course, of all the people in this city to notice her first after five years, it had to be Wattson and for good reason. He's a close family friend and has been there for years, helping and hanging out with them. She knew about his constant laughs, his jokes and his spirit full of excitement everywhere he went. Heck, Marina even volunteered at the gym during her teenage years and actually witnessed the battles that took place inside, but told no one, that is, until now, leaving both Steven and Wallace shocked, unknowing that part of the woman's past.

Still acting coy, Marina greeted the gym leader back and shook his hand, something neither of them did in quite some time.

"Still the same, shy, Marina I knew back then. I'm so glad you returned and I'm pretty sure your parents will feel the same way. You're going back home to them, aren't you?"

Marina nodded 'Yes' while holding back tears, but in her heart, she wanted to say no and asked Wattson for a gym battle. However, she knew the gym leader would decline if she even dared to do so, since reuniting with her parents is top priority and no matter how anxious it made her feel, she had to accept that and face reality.