Chapter 13: On her own

Marina paced anxiously back and forth in her room wearing only a white towel wrapped around her while the thoughts about today raced in her mind.

She knew this day would eventually come, but it didn't occur to her that it would happen so soon, that is, until now.

It felt like it was only yesterday that Steven and Wallace rescued her from immediate death and helped her readjust to the real world in the best way that they could. They were kind, patient and didn't get angry at her no matter how difficult she was.

And thanks to them, Marina got to reunite with her family, even if it was just her parents and her older brother, Hugo and gained the confidence to finally raise pokemon once again.

But now, they're gone, but at least they had reasons for doing so; Steven had to go back to the champion's den to defend his title and other duties he needs to take care of before being allowed to travel again. Wallace, on the other hand, needed a very long mental health break after the recent events that folded a month prior.

It felt empty, oh so empty and Marina's insecurities returned for what seems to be the one hundredth time, striking with full force.

She didn't want to resume her journey on her own. It was still too early for that, considering that she still had some obstacles to overcome.

However, she couldn't just rely on Steven and Wallace for everything or mooch off her parents for the rest of her life. She had to make a name for herself and if this is the way to do it, then so be it.

Marina had to get prepared if she's going to set off on her own. First and foremost, she hits the showers, since who knows when she'll be able to do that again. Next, she gathers any clothing she might need for this trip, along with toiletries, two journals that have yet to be used, her PokeNav, her mini pokeblock maker that hasn't been used since 1995, repels, pokemon treats and medicines, placing them in her big, purple backpack.

Then, she went to the basement to pick up the cheap looking tent and sleeping bag before checking each item off the list.

And once everything was in place, Marina turns off the lights and shuts the door to her room, realizing that this is the last time she'll ever step foot in there, and throws her bags down onto the floor near the couch.

"Got everything you need, dear?" Her mother asked while stirring up the oatmeal.

"Yep. That's everything."

"Now, come on and eat. I made you your favorite."

Per her mother's request, Marina sat down at the table and ate the homemade apple cinnamon oatmeal that she always loved. It brought her back to a simple, less chaotic time of her life before she quit contests.

Marina would alway look forward to the meal every morning before heading out to practice with her beautifly, Momo, before the incident.

But realizing that this may be the last time eating it, she took her time to savor each delectable bite and after she was done, Marina sent out her pokemon and fed them the rest of the food her dad gave to her.

She remained quiet while doing so, unsure on where to go from here or how to tell her Pokemon that Steven and Wallace are no longer accompanying them.

But for now, Marina sent them to the backyard to get fresh air and play with her mom's Delcatty and its Skitty offspring for a little while.

Her mother comments, "Your Pokemon sure are full of energy."

"They're quite the handful alright. It was overwhelming at first but I'm very much used to it by now."