Chapter 17: Two for one evolutions

"And here we are."

Mikey led Marina to the basement of the cafe, an area that only he and the staff can access. It's very spacious, with enough room for a table of fifty people, yet empty and bleak.

And once he switched on the lights, it revealed a white battlefield that has been untouched ever since Happy Hopes opened its doors to the public.

"You have a battlefield here?" Marina asked, curious on why her brother has one in his restaurant of all places.

Mikey nods his head, "I created a safe for me and my co-workers to battle on break or when the urge hits." He looks down at his shoes, "Well, that was the original plan."

"Wait, you never used it?"

"No. I got too busy and then too depressed to use it, you know."

Hmm. Marina took another peek at the field, only focusing on her thoughts; thinking about her next gym battle, thinking about facing the pokemon league and becoming champion of the hoenn region, thinking about her future.

Naturally, Mikey sensed she was lost in thought, wondering what's on her mind. It's most likely none of his business and did not want to be invasive like those stereotypical overprotective big siblings he sees on tv, but at the same time, is eager to know what's going on in that pretty little head of hers.

"A battle. Let's have a battle." Did Marina really suggest that? An actual pokemon battle?

A pit formed in Mikey's stomach as he produced a gulp, completely unsure if battling his own sister was a good idea. 'Damn, what is she thinking?' He thought to himself, knowing exactly what kind of an opponent he really is.

"Are you sure you want to battle me so soon?" He asked, feeling concerned for Marina's and her pokemon's wellbeing.

"So soon? Are you a tough opponent?"

"Well, I wouldn't say that." He didn't want to reveal how strong he is right before the battle because doing so would intimidate the woman. He has never in his lifetime, had a battle with Marina, probably due to her focusing on contests and later on, not wanting to do anything with pokemon at that time.

But now that everything is new, the man respectfully accepts and the two get ready for battle.

Mikey takes a glimpse at Marina, who is full of excitement, ' Poor Marina. So naive like always. You don't know what you're putting yourself into. Guess you gotta find out the hard way.'

And once everything is settled and both agree to do a full party battle with no substitutions, Marina sends out Sheldon and Mikey sends out his ace pokemon, Emi, a shiny Altaria, the battle begins with Marina having the first move.

"Sheldon, use rock slide!"

A waterfall of rock slid down from above Emi, but it wasn't quick enough for Altaria's speed. It swiftly avoided the attack, catching Marina off guard.

"Use brave bird!"

Marina commands Sheldon to dodge, but sadly didn't make it in time as Emi's hit was direct, and hard, so much so that it pummeled Sheldon straight to the wall, knocking it out instantly.

Marina's eyes widened, quite shocked that his pokemon took down hers like it was nothing.

' Shit. He must be stronger than I thought.'

"You want to call it?" Mikey asked her, showing barely any emotion. Is this how he usually is during battle?

"N-No. I want to keep going. I'm not giving up."