Falling For A Criminal - Chapter Twenty Three

[A/N] This chapter will be edited later when the book is complete! Don't mind any typo's because they will be fixed :) Also, I'm between moves, and had serious writers block while writing it :x Plus, I'm not a violent person, so sorry that this chapter probably sucks. . . But I hope you like it anyway :x

The sound of gun shots all throughout the warehouse had my ears ringing, but that wasn't the least of my concerns at the moment. I was in a dark room with my brother and my ex-boyfriend—both gang members, both had guns and both were willing to shoot the other if they had to. That's kind of something to worry about, right?

No one said anything for a while, but the small emergency light lit the room and I watched as Jayson stared from me to Trace and back and forth with an angry gleam in his eyes. “So,” he began, “this was your little plan? Shut off the power and then try and attack me?” Grinning to himself, he shook his head and began pacing back and forth behind his desk, his eyes never leaving my brothers. “I've gotta say, I expected better from you, Trace. Not only did you disobey me, no, but you helped that faggot Haydn attack my men?” All was silent again for a few seconds, but then anger took over all of Jayson's features and he flipped his desk.

Him and Trace pointed their guns at each other at that very instant, and I saw a small grin on his face now. Trace was the one to speak though. “If you think your little diversions are going to distract me enough to drop my guard, you really have lost your touch.”

“Oh please,” Jayson interrupted, “I've lost my touch? At the first sign of me hurting someone you love, you just dropped everything and ran off to find someone else's help. I've lost my touch?” Shaking his head, he blew out a sigh and brought his finger down on the trigger of the gun, making me gasp a little. Not loud enough to hear, thank goodness for that. “You never a touch!

I was about to comment on how that wasn't really a threatening thing to say, but Trace beat me to the punch. “Oh, please. I never had a touch? Every girl you've gone after was smaller than you—hell, smaller than me! And then, you had the audacity to go after my sister?” Angrily, he shook his head and looked at the gun in his hand for a second before looking back up at Jayson. “The only reason I didn't kill you the moment I found out was because you saved my life. Plus, I didn't think that you would dare put your hands on my sister. So I stood by and I watched, quietly, and without making myself known to anyone. Things seemed fine for a while, but that was only when I wasn't around, wasn't it?”

That was probably meant to be a question, but judging by his tone, I knew that it was an accusation. That wasn't really the thing that had caught my attention though. 'He knew the entire time that I was dating Jayson, and he didn't step forward when I needed help? Not even once?' I shook that off, knowing that we would both make it out of here tonight and that we could talk in the morning, and I watched as the rest of the scene progressed.

“Yeah, but even if you had been watching when everything had unfolded, what could you have done? You were—and still are—in debt to me, and you can't lay a hand on me.” Jayson grinned when he said that, but Trace didn't so much as move a muscle.

“Yeah well,” he said after a small silence, “I can't be in debt to you if you're dead, right?” And right before my eyes, I watched Trace pull the trigger and hit Jayson right in the shoulder. I jumped when he pulled it again and shot Jayson in his forearm, making him drop the gun and scream out in pain. But that wasn't the end of it, because as soon as I began to say something to Trace, he shot Jayson again; this time, in the thigh, making him fall to the ground and blood spread around the small room. I knew he wasn't dead, Trace hadn't hit any critical spots, but he was in a lot of pain, and I knew that he probably wouldn't be going anywhere any time soon, let alone taking part in the gun fight that was happening on the other side of this door.