Falling For A Criminal - Chapter Fourteen [1/2]

Seventh period lunch had finally rolled around, and I was now lying down at my table with the biggest possible migraine, ever. Cassandra had guessed right away what I was on, and while I was surprised, I couldn't really show it. How she knew what drug I had been injected with was completely beyond me, but I wouldn't question it; she had her ways.

            When someone slammed their tray down on the table, I let out an audible groan and brought my hands up to cover my ears. “Stop making so much noise!”

            “Sorry, Adri.” At the sound of Andrew's soft voice, I sat up and looked at him, squinting my eyes at the sudden bright light. He noticed that something about me was off—just like everyone else in the school—and he frowned. “What's wrong with you? You look like crap, babe.”

            Not giving me time to answer for myself, Cassandra opened her mouth and explained; glaring at me the entire time. “She was on speed this morning.” Andrew clearly didn't understand because the expression on his face was blank. Sighing, Cassandra took out her iPhone and went onto google to show him what it was.

            She finally found the page and I watched as Andrew read it out loud; his frown deepening. “Speed is amphetamine, a stimulating drug that triggers the brain’s reward system giving the user feelings of pleasure.” Turning to look at me with disapproving eyes, he shook his head and gave Cassandra her phone back. “Your doing drugs now, Adri? I expected more from you-”

            “-oh, shut it, Andrew.” Putting my face back into my arms, I took a deep breath and shook my head. “It wasn't my drug. If you hadn't already heard—which I doubt—Haydn gave me a ride today with his brother and-”

            “-you got to ride with them?!”

            I narrowed my eyes, knowing he couldn't see it. I didn't see what the big deal was though. Sure, Haydn was in one of the most notorious gangs in the New York area, and I was one of the more 'innocent' students in our school, but that didn't mean anything. It's not like we were dating or anything like that; it was just a simple ride to school.

            Of course, no one else in the school saw it that way because the moment we stepped out of the car, everyone turned to gape at us with shocked looks on their faces. I expected Chase to stay and witness the entire thing, but he didn't go to school with us, so he drove off as soon as we were inside the building. Haydn had said something about me feeling a bit off around this time, and I guess his calculations were correct because at this moment, I felt like complete. . . Well, shit. I was going to go find him and complain about being drugged, but he was nowhere to be found.

         And that bothered me. “It's not that big of a deal, Andrew. I got a ride and then they disappeared—not that I can say I'm surprised.”

      There was a slight pause before he spoke. “You are one lucky girl, Adri. But, after Jayson's appearance yesterday, do you really think that Haydn is just going to continue playing buddy-buddy with you?” I thought about it for a second, taking in his words. Could Haydn be more distant now because he was trying to help me? “I'm not saying anything bad, Love, but you need to watch your back. I mean, you have Cas and I to help you, so I guess you don't have anything to worry about.”

            Once he said her name, I sat up and squinted my eyes—both at the light and the suspicion that was rising in my chest. Since the mention of Chase and Haydn, she hadn't said a word. Sure, she was being quiet more so now than usual, but I still found that a little odd. Before any of this started, she was curious about anything that happened between Haydn and I; now it seemed like she couldn't care less. “Don't you have anything to say, Cas?”