Falling For A Criminal - Chapter Eight

[ Still Haydn's POV. . . ]

When I walked into the hospital, a few of the receptionists gave me a wary look, but I ignored them and walked up to the front desk; asking for Adriana's room. I honestly didn't want to talk to her right now, but I had a deal with Chase; who was I to break it?

“How may I help yo- Oh my, what happened to your face, hun?”

Knowing that she was referring to the blood, I shrugged and ran a hand through my dark brown hair. “I got into a little scrape on the way here. Nothing I couldn't handle.” She nodded; clearly unsure of what to say, so I asked for Adriana's room again and quietly thanked her when she gave me the directions. I had to take an elevator and several stairs, but when I finally got to her room, I saw that she was sleeping and hooked up to an IV. Seeing her like that, so weak and defenseless almost made me feel some sympathy for her, but since her getting chased wasn't my fault, I decided to just push those feelings aside and walked into the room.

Once I was sure the door was closed, I walked over to her bed and sat down in the chair that was placed beside it. Her breathing was even, and aside from the messy hair and tear streaked face, she looked the same as she did every other day.

I chuckled to myself at the thought; she probably would freak out if she knew I said that.

Five minutes had passed and she still hadn't woken up, so I blew out a breath in boredom and stood up to leave, but then I remembered Chase's nagging voice before I walked inside.

If I find out you left before talking to her—and believe me, I will—I'm going to get Victor to kick your ass. And then, I'm going to tell everyone in the house that it was her brother who beat you up!” With a grin playing on his lips, he nodded and crossed his arms in satisfaction. “I think I've made my point, right?”

I rolled my eyes. “Sure, bro. Whatever you say.”

“Don't roll your eyes at me! You know that deep down you're doing this because you really want to! You're just using me as an excuse, and I'm nice enough to go along with it.” Turning to face him, I opened my mouth to say something, only to have him interrupt me again and this time, with a bit more attitude. “I don't want to hear it! Go talk to Adriana,and I'll text you when I'm done with blondie over here.”

That's when I realized it was my turn to grin. “Go work your magic, lover boy.”

“Oh, I intend to.” And then he winked.

Shaking my head at the thought, I sat back down and began to randomly say things in hopes that she'd wake up and I could leave without having to say anything. But of course, she stayed unconscious for at least another ten minutes. Holy sh*t, is she in a coma or something? Wake up already! When my telepathic message wasn't enough to get through to her, I put my hand on her shoulder and gave her a gentle shake. That didn't work, so I took a different approach.

“Adriana, wake up.”

Not a sound came from her.

Groaning in frustration, I turned my attention away from her and tried something else. “You know, if you don't wake up, you'll never know why I'm here. I'm sure your curiosity is just peaking!” She stirred a little bit, and I knew that I was heading in the right direction. “And maybe if you wake up, I'll tell you what happened that night in your room.” I bit my lip; I've done nothing but deny showing up that day, and now here I am openly telling her that it was me who broke into her room. I was really losing my mind around her.