Falling For A Criminal - Chapter Twelve

The day ended fast, and luckily, I didn't have anymore run-ins with ex-boyfriends and bad boys. People were staring at me, but after the day I've had, I wasn't all that surprised. Some random guy had called me out on needing protection, Haydn confirmed that, and I couldn't even call him out on a lie because Andrew had witnessed the entire thing—not to mention Jayson's random appearance today.

We hadn't spoken in almost two years, so what he was doing back, I didn't know. I didn't have to be a genius to know that his story of wanting me back was a lie, but it did have me curious. Everything is happening so soon after my brothers appearance, and I can't help but think he had something to do with it. Of course, there was no way that I was going to even attempt talking to him. Every time I tried, I'd end up with another bruise on my body, and that was something I didn't want to have to try and explain to my mom. She already had me on a leash; how much worse could things get?

When I reached my locker after my last period, I expected to see Andrew there waiting for me, but he was nowhere in sight. I wanted to talk to him before my forced ride home with my mom, but even after waiting for five minutes, he was nowhere to be found.

Feeling defeated, I closed my locker and began my walk towards the double doors at the end of the hall. Just as I reached it, I heard someone call my name from behind me, and I turned around to see Cassandra running over to me with a tired look on her face. We hadn't really spoken much since that day at the hospital, so what she's been up to, I wasn't sure. What I did know though, was that she seemed pretty out of it today, and I had no idea why.

“What's the matter, Cas?”

She bit her lip, but simply shook her head and gave me a small smile. “Nothings wrong; I just wanted to check on you. I know we haven't exchanged many words since. . . You know.” Pointing at my wrists, she shifted uncomfortably before speaking again. “I haven't seen much of your brother around anymore. Do you think he transferred in just to transfer out?”

I thought about it for a second, but I couldn't really place my mind on anything. He probably began to feel guilty after the numerous times that he decided to put his hands on me. That didn't explain why he was so beaten up the night of the break in, but that was a question that would have to be answered some other day, I suppose.

“I'm not sure, Cas, but I'll worry about it later.” She nodded, and then rubbed her arm again. Things have never been awkward between us before, so the fact that it was now kind of bothered me. We were best friends; practically twins of personalities, and now it was as if we were total strangers trying to have a conversation. Who would have thought one night could change us to much. “Um. . . Well, my mom is waiting for me outside, so I'll see you. . .”

“Yeah, yeah, I get it. Totally fine.” Smiling one last time, she turned on her heal with her shoulders slumped and proceeded to walk away.

Before she got too far though, I called out to her and asked her a question that was beginning to bother me. “You haven't seen Andrew, have you? I was with him earlier, and he said he'd meet me by my locker, but he was a no-show.”

A slight pout found its way to her lips, but she quickly covered it with another smile before shaking her head. “Sorry, I haven't seen him. But I'll text you if anything, OK?”

I nodded, and watched as she walked off before I had the chance to question her again. It kind of hurt watching her walk away like that, but I couldn't worry about it. Things fall out of place all the time, and worrying would only make the situation seem worse than it actually was. So, for now, I'd give her the space she wanted and when the time was right, she'd come to me. I wasn't going to rush it; things never work when they're rushed.