Falling For A Criminal - Chapter Two*

• Dedicated to Niikki Songz

When I woke up a few hours later, I had to bring my hand up to my eyes in attempt to make it so the bright sun rays wouldn't temporarily blind me. And it worked for a while, but then I remembered that there was a sleeping bad-boy on my floor and that my parents could walk in at any moment—thus getting us both in trouble, and I wasn't really in the mood to get yelled at. I'm sure Haydn wouldn't mind; he'd probably yell back, but that's a confrontation that is best left avoided.

Throwing the blanket off of my body, I looked down at the floor—sitting up way too fast and making myself light headed—and noticed that the blankets, the pillow, and the boywere nowhere in sight. For a while, I just stared at the floor in awe, but quickly shook it off and walked over to the closet where I got the blanket. I expected it to just be lazily thrown in there, showing me that Haydn washere last night and that I'm not going crazy, but when I opened the door, it was right where I got it last night. Not a single thing in the room was out of place; it was as if last night never happened! 'Have I finally turned into one of those girls who dreams about Haydn sneaking into my room? Have I really lost all of my common sense?'

Narrowing my eyes , I threw on a pair of lounge pants and walked downstairs; the smell of eggs and bacon attracting my senses and driving them wild. I hadn't eaten since dinner last night, and that was around nine. Sadly, due to unmentionable circumstances, I hadn't fallen asleep until almost two a.m.

Trying my hardest not to think about it, I continued my walk into the kitchen and felt my mouth begin to water at the smell of the food that I was about to attack with no remorse. “Ah, look who's decided to join us this morning.” Smiling at the sound of my mothers voice, I sat down next to her; giving my dad quick kiss on the cheek. For some reason, my mom had given me a once over and I almost panicked, thinking Haydn had left some kind of mark on me, and that made my hand instinctively go up to my neck. That of course made her raise a brow. “What time did you go to sleep? You have bags under your eyes.”

Breathing out a sigh of relief, I shrugged, looked at the clock on the microwave and groaned when I saw it was already seven o'clock. Any less than eight hours of sleep and I'd be one irritable person. I only had five; are you getting the picture I'm painting? “Around two, I think. There was,” I stopped for a second to choose my words correctly, “a lot of distractions.”

“Oh?” My dad cut in. “Distractions like?”

Staring down at my hands, I shrugged. It's not like I could just openly say: Oh you know, a hot guy broke into my room and kept me up for almost two hours. I would have introduced him to you yesterday, but it was one in the morning, he was high and I don't think he'd want to. Oh, and did I mention that there's no physical proof that he was ever here? I figured I'd let you know that, too.

If I told them that, not only would they put bars on my window to keep anyone from getting in—and me getting out if I ever felt rebellious enough to do that—but they'd think I was crazy! It may not seem like a big deal, but that's not necessarily something I wanted to have to deal with.

So, I went with a simple answer. “I just couldn't sleep.”

“Well, we can't have you going out today with imperfections, now can we?” Pinching my cheek in a belittling manner, my mother excused herself from the table and went to go get her Bag o' Magic. It wasn't anything like 'Pick a card, any card' magic, but like, 'I can make you go from thisto thisin a matter of seconds if you give me a chance' magic. She was a beautician; it was in her nature to try and make me look 'perfect', though I could go without all the extra attention.

I looked away from my hands and up at my father who had a sympathetic look on his face. “You know your mother is just looking out for you-”

“-yes, dad, I know that 'making me look my most fabulous at all times' is looking out for me.”