IV: Old wives' tales

"Visenya!"

Visenya and Tyana sat in the library when, out of nowhere, a deafening roar echoed through the halls. Furious, Baela stormed in, followed by a giggling Rhaena.

"What. Did. You. Do."

"Whatever do you mean, cousin?" Visenya replied nonchalantly.

"Would you care to explain why Ser Lorrad has been following me all morning like a lovesick pup? I don't even know the man!"

Visenya placed her hand upon her chest. "Oh my, you must have an admirer!"

Tyana kept her eyes down on her book, suppressing her laughter.

"Visenya... I swear to all the gods..."

Just as she was about to finish her sentence, Ser Lorrad, a young knight from the Reach, entered, looking for Baela.

"Your Highness! I've been trying to give you this—" He held a bouquet of roses plucked from Aegon's garden. "They seldom match your beauty, but let this be a token of my admiration." He bowed dramatically, presenting the flowers to Baela.

The girls cooed sarcastically at the gesture, which made Baela blush even more. She turned to Visenya for help, who, after enjoying the ruse for a moment more, finally stood up and approached Ser Lorrad with a cup.

"What a beautiful gesture, Ser Lorrad. I'm sure Princess Baela is flattered, aren't you?" Baela hesitantly took the flowers and bowed her head to the knight. "Here, you must be thirsty from gathering the flowers in the heat for so long. Drink." Visenya handed the knight the cup, and he drank while maintaining eye contact with Baela. The girls observed the interaction with confusion, but then, as soon as the last drop of the drink touched the man's lips, his eyes went white with horror.

"Princess! I – I apologize for my behavior. I do not know what came over me."

"You must have been heat-struck, Ser. No worries, it happens to all of us." Visenya replied calmly.

Baela and Rhaena exchanged bewildered glances, and Tyana was barely holding back her laughter.

The knight bowed to the princesses and Tyana, then quickly rushed out of the library, shaking his head in disbelief at what just happened. As he left, Visenya glanced at Tyana, and they both burst into laughter.

"What was that?!" Baela was still holding the flowers in her hands, looking at Rhaena, who was equally puzzled, while Visenya and Tyana continued laughing.

"I can't believe it worked!" Tyana managed to say between giggles.

"Of course, it did!" Visenya replied while looking over something in the book. The girls finally turned to the confused twins.

"Visenya has been dabbling in potions. And this morning, I overheard Ser Lorrad scolding some young squire for being 'cunt-struck' over a maid. He was talking so obscenely about women and how he'd never stoop so low as to chase after one, were she the queen herself. We thought he'd be the perfect subject to test if the potion works or not."

"And I had to be the chosen target?" Baela started to sit down, still irritated by the ruse, but now more intrigued than anything.

"Not at all. The potion, as it says here, works on the first person you come across. You just happened to be in the right place at the right time." Visenya chuckled as she took the flowers from Baela.

"This is actual madness." Rhaena spoke up as she scanned the pages of the book on the table. "I mean, we've all heard the stories of Visenya the First using magic to get Maegor on the throne... But seven hells, I thought those were old wives' tales."