XVII: Family affairs

"Ilībōños!" (Bastard!) Visenya screamed out as she launched herself at Daemon. He had just settled into Rhaena's chambers, aiming to check on his daughter after the violent incident he had caused an hour earlier.

Now, it seemed she was about to witness more turmoil.

Before Visenya's grasp could reach her father's throat, a pair of hands grabbed her and pulled her back firmly. Rhaena kept looking back and forth between Daemon and Visenya, unaware of what might have transpired between the hearing and now to provoke her half-sister's erratic behavior.

Daemon stood up from his chair and calmly approached Visenya, who was practically foaming at the mouth, her eyes wide with anger.

"Release her, Jace," Daemon sighed in annoyance.

Jacearys reluctantly let go of his sister, having performed this maneuver one too many times in his life.

The whole family was accustomed to Visenya's outbursts towards Daemon. He would do something she disagreed with, she would find out, and the whole castle on Dragonstone would hear their "discussions" about it.

But when Visenya started speaking in their mother tongue...

This was about to get interesting. Or very bad. No one was sure.

"Se nāpāstre's bartos iksin ñuhon." (The traitor's head was mine.) She spat through gritted teeth, annoyed with her father's nonchalant response to her threatening stance.

Daemon rolled his eyes and turned on his heel to sit back down.

"Emā olvie naejot gūrēñagon nūmāzma vīlībāzma, tala." (You have much to learn about war, daughter.) He spoke to her as usual, full of the patience he did not grant anyone else than his children. Visenya was always more irritated by this than grateful. She did not spend the better part of her life studying to be talked down to by a man who spent his twenties whoring and fighting useless battles.

As Visenya's lip started to twitch into a broken smile from frustration, Jacearys signaled to Rhaena that it was time to leave the two alone. Rhaena quietly followed Jace out of her own chambers, both reluctant to leave but understanding that not much could be done to help.

Visenya stepped away from the door, letting her siblings pass, the terrified look in Rhaena's eyes grounding the princess a bit, reminding her to maintain composure. In a more reasonable tone, she continued.

"Gaomagon ao gīmigon skorkydoso olvie jēda mazēdas syt nyke naejot mazverdagon se qrimbrōzagon?" (Do you know how long it took me to create that spell?) She asked genuinely, unsure if Daemon was truly blinded by his need for glory, or if he overshadowed her efforts on purpose.

Daemon looked at his nails, which seemed to interest him more than this particular conversation.

"Iā egros mirre tolī adere, ziry vestragon." (A sword works faster, it seems.)

Visenya wished she had a sword in that second to cut through Daemon with. Daemon chuckled at her trembling hands. Such a young soul, so much anger. He truly enjoyed pushing his daughter to the edge, if for nothing else than to prepare her for the world of snakes she was bound to enter. Visenya did not see it that way, of course.

"One does not reveal all of his tricks the moment you step in front of your enemy." Daemon switched to the common tongue, trying to ease the growing tension. "So if you choose to do so, you must be quick. What good would your spells have done if Vaemond had realized it was you who was making him die slowly, and on his last breath, he would have pulled out a dagger to take you with him?"

Visenya's mouth opened and closed trying to search for an answer. She had none. She averted her eyes from her father's gaze.

He was right. But she'd never admit it.