IX: Mirrors and hair

Four dragons landed on Dragonstone. Rhaenyra, Daemon, Jacearys, and Baela rode on dragonback, while Rhaena, Lucearys, and Joffrey arrived by ship.

Daemon rushed to help Rhaenyra dismount. It had only been eight months since she gave birth to Joff, and this was her first time riding Syrax in more than a year.

Following suit, Jacearys hurried to assist Baela as she descended from Moondancer. Baela scoffed and playfully jumped into Jacearys's arms, as if trying to make him stumble. He caught her, and the two shared a laugh as they approached their parents on their way to the castle. This was the first time Jacearys had laughed since Laenor's death, and he cherished the prospect of spending more time with Baela.

Rhaenyra's heart raced; it had been seven months since she had seen her daughter. Every night since Visenya's departure, Rhaenyra had dreamed of the day when she could hug and kiss her daughter again.

As the gates of Dragonstone opened, Ser Robert greeted the royal family. "Your Highnesses, it is an honor to welcome you back to Dragonstone. The ships have not yet arrived, and Princess Visenya is on her way to greet you."

"Thank you, Ser Robert," Daemon said, tapping the old knight on the shoulder before turning to Rhaenyra. "He's taken good care of Visenya."

Rhaenyra smiled and conveyed her appreciation to Robert. "I'm well aware. Visenya wrote many kind words about you and your daughter, Ser."

Ser Robert stood proudly as he led the four royals into the castle. "I am forever thankful. The princess has been nothing but a delight in the castle."

The sound of hurried footsteps drew closer. Before anyone could react, Visenya launched herself into her mother's arms. To the realm, she might be the future queen, a Targaryen princess. But to Visenya, she was simply "Mommy."

"Mommy!" Visenya shouted in excitement as she hugged her mother tightly. Although she was growing into a woman and insisted on her independence, no child can hide the love they have for their mother.

Rhaenyra's eyes swelled up with tears as she brushed Visenya's hair with her fingers. Her...Hair. Was short. So short. A slight tick went off in her heart. She loved to braid and brush through Visenya's hair so much. She dreamed of the moment she could do it again once they reunited.

"My dearest, your hair..." Rhaenyra said, taking a step back to get a better look at her daughter.

Visenya smiled and shrugged. "I felt like a change."

"I see," Rhaenyra replied, her heart calming somewhat, though a lingering feeling told her that Visenya wasn't revealing the full truth. "It suits you." She caressed Visenya's cheek.

Visenya turned to her brother and hugged him just as tightly. "How are you?" she whispered in his ear, aware that asking loudly might embarrass him. His response was to bury his head in her hair and hold her tighter than he ever had before.

As they pulled away, Visenya finally noticed Daemon and Baela among the arrivals.

"Uncle Daemon, I thought you'd gone back to Pentos. Are you here to accompany us to the funeral?" Visenya asked, almost nonchalantly.

Both Jacearys and Rhaenyra found Visenya's calm discussion of Laenor's funeral somewhat odd. It almost seemed heartless.

Daemon glanced at Rhaenyra and swallowed before speaking. "I think it's best if Baela and Jacearys settle in while we have a talk with you."

As Baela and Jacearys made their way toward the chambers, Baela squeezed Visenya's hand, and Jacearys tapped her shoulder.

Visenya's euphoria at her family's return quickly turned to confusion. She followed Rhaenyra and Daemon to the dining hall, where they signaled for her to sit down.