XIV: The play begins

"Where's Daemon?" Visenya barged into Jacearys's chambers unannounced. She sat down on his bed
without giving him a moment to realize what was happening.

"Are you alright?" Jacearys asked as he finished changing from his training clothes into more proper evening attire.

"No. Not quite." Visenya kept tapping her foot on the floor, fighting the urge not to go to the queen's chambers instead and rip her head off.

Jacearys walked across the room to his sister to look her in the eyes.

"Has something happened?" his voice still annoyingly calm, just like mothers. If Visenya inherited Rhaenyra's looks, Jacearys had inherited her temper.

The tapping on the floor increased. Visenya looked towards the closed door, still unsure just how much the guards would hear if she spoke loudly.

"Yes. Something has been happening for quite a while, it seems." she tried her hardest to whisper, but the anger in her heart made it quite difficult.

Jace's brows furrowed. He sat down next to the princess, waiting for an explanation.

"Grandsire is being poisoned. I think. Or perhaps the maesters are just utter idiots." Visenya started while looking at the door as if someone was to burge in at any given moment.

"Poisoned? What?" Jacearys shook his head and grabbed onto the bed harder.

"The cuts from the throne he had received have been poisoning him for as long as he's been king. With the proper treatment, they should have not made him reach such a state that he has. All they do is put empty bandages on him to cover him up and fill him up with Milk of the poppy day and night. And not only that-" Visenya stopped briefly. She inhaled slowly, before continuing. "The milk of the poppy is mixed with... Something. I've had it before, numerous times. We all have. But this..." she laid down on the bed before she could finish.

"Please don't tell me you drank it to prove your point." Jacearys looked over at his sister now laying on his bed, visibly turning paler. "You really can be an idiot sometimes."

"Bring me my basket." Visenya pointed her finger at the basket she had brought with her next to the door.

Jacearys jumped up to bring the basket over. Before letting Visenya say anymore, he started digging through it himself.

"Do not think I haven't learned a thing or two while hearing you mumble about these potions of yours for the past four years." he tried to make Visenya laugh as she visibly was drifting more and more into sleep.

"There." he proudly took out a sort of fruit or vegetable that looked rotten, but in ways unknown to Jace, has worked in the past. He took out a dagger from his belt and cut off a piece. As Visenya closed her eyes, he opened her mouth and plopped the piece in. A few seconds later, Visenya started coughing profusely as she spit out the piece on the floor. Jacearys stood up to go fetch her a glass of wine, which she drank up quickly.

"You truly are an idiot." Jace stood next to the door dumbfounded at the theatrics his sister had pulled only a few hours after they had arrived. Yet, it was not the worst she could have done.

After regaining composure, Visenya was quickly back to her usual self. "Your only sister almost died a moment ago and this is how you rejoice at her recovery?" she shook her head sarcastacly while standing up from the bed and heading towards the door.

Seeing as though Visenya had clearly been well enough to make such snarky remarks, Jacearys relaxed and started to laugh.

"I'm afraid the only person that might be able to kill such a snake as you is only yourself, dear sister." He hit her on the back while laughing, almost making her choke.