XV: Motivations

As Visenya made her way down the hall from the Queen's chambers, familiar laughter reached her ears. Below the balcony, her siblings were running hand in hand, carefree. She stopped and allowed herself a moment of comfort, gazing peacefully upon Lucerys and Baela, untouched by the burdens of succession, schemes, and intrigue.

They hurried along, whispering and laughing, unaware of their older sister watching from above. A genuine smile crossed Visenya's lips, unlike the one she often wore for the Queen and her allies—an expression reserved for only a select few.

She fiddled with the Velaryon ring her father had left her years ago. Her heart rejoiced, knowing a part of her father's and Aunt Laena's blood would live on in Baela and Lucerys's children. Imagining their happiness on Driftmark, surrounded by the sea Baela loved and where Lucerys would overcome his fear, Visenya allowed herself to fantasize about a stronger, more united family.

"Searching for your next lover?" a quiet, taunting whisper behind her ear abruptly pulled her from her reverie. Not the time. Not the place. Her nails dug into the balcony's railing.

"Care to volunteer?" she calmly replied without facing him.

The prince, taken aback, hesitated, his confidence waning in the face of her retort.

Sensing his discomfort, Visenya turned to face Aemond, relishing in his disturbance. They locked eyes, almost circling each other before she turned to walk away.

"What—" he grabbed her by the arm, stopping her from leaving. "Were you doing in my mother's chambers?" His grip on her arm excited her, and her heart pounded. She promised her mother to behave, but Aemond was practically begging to be toyed with.

As he turned her around, Visenya screamed as if in excruciating pain, causing Aemond to release her. Panic filled his eyes as guards rushed toward them.

"Your Highnesses, are you all right?" a King's guard approached, concerned.

Visenya, emotionless moments ago, began hyperventilating as the guard reached them, feigning innocence and fear.

"Quite all right, Ser," she gasped. "I was startled by an enormous spider my uncle so bravely squashed for me." She gently leaned her head on Aemond's arm, as if in gratitude.

Aemond stood speechless, bewildered by the sudden turn of events.

Once the guard left, Visenya released Aemond, smiled, and walked away.

Aemond stood, his mind in disarray.

He wanted to retaliate, to catch her, to understand what was happening.

What in the seven hells was wrong with her and why could he not keep away.

.

.

.

Everyone had finally arrived. Baela. Rhaenys. Vaemond. Any moment now, the decision about the succession of the Driftmark seat would be made.

It had been a week since Visenya had come back to King's Landing. And she could not wait a moment longer to go home. The place was dreadful.

The castle itself turned more into the Sept than a Targaryen home. The castle that she had grown up in was cold and dark, unwelcoming to the Targaryen red, more accepting of the Hightower green.

Her dear Helaena had become a prisoner in the castle, much like her Queen mother. Perhaps hurt by Visenya's encouragement to not abandon her gift for dreams, Helaena chose to avoid her childhood friend for the rest of the week.

Visenya's own mother was visibly more anxious to be back home than usual. She kept muttering to herself or Daemon, shooting disapproving looks towards the very same parts of the castle that Visenya herself did not agree with.

Every one of her family felt uneasy back here. Everyone wanted to go home. And so they would. Soon.

She had spent the better part of the week working on getting her grandsire better. Though it was hard, she had convinced him not to drink the milk of the poppy anymore, instead taking the potions and poultices she made. To make sure the maesters did not catch up with her plans, she visited her grandsire during the nights and instructed him not to show his growing strength off to anyone who visited him.

Viserys had started to speak more clearly. His coughs stopped being bloody.

And everything was going according to plan.

.

.

Visenya's window had the perfect view of the Godswood. She looked out, thoughtlessly gazing down the garden.

Four familiar figures stepped into view. The princess wasted no moment, running out of her chambers to greet them.

As she hurried into the Godswood, Baela and Rhaena had already left, leaving only Rhaenyra and Rhaenys to talk.

Visenya slowed her pace and hid behind one of the columns to hear what her mother and grandmother were saying.

.

"Tomorrow the Hightowers land their first blow. They force you to your knees...." Rhaenys towered over Rhaenyra, who had tears in her eyes but stayed persistent, not breaking her gaze.

Visenya's blood boiled at Rhaenys's words. Not if she had something to say about it. Not if she was there. Her mother would not be on her knees. Ever.

"...And I must stand alone." Rhaenys finished. Her words stung deeper than any knife. She had no faith in Rhaenyra. And why should she? In her eyes, Rhaenyra had murdered Laenor and made a joke of his legacy by giving his name to her bastard children.

Visenya lowered her head in disappointment. She managed to hide once more when Rhaenys left Rhaenyra alone to ponder her words.

As soon as Rhaenys left, Rhaenyra sat down next to the tree and quietly let go of her tears. Thinking no one was there, she sobbed quietly into her hands.

Visenya swallowed before stepping out from behind the column. Her mother, startled by the noise, quickly wiped away her tears but relaxed, realizing it was her daughter who had come to her side.

Trying to control her emotions, Rhaenyra quickly wiped her face with the sleeve of her dress once more.

"My love, you startled me, I was just—"

Visenya took her mother's hand calmly.

"No need to talk. Let's just sit here for a while." She sat down on the ground next to the godswood tree and urged her mother to do the same.

Rhaenyra struggled to get down as quickly as her daughter but cautiously joined her on the ground, both of them resting their heads on the trunk of the tree.

Visenya quietly kissed her mother's hand and put it on her cheek. She loathed to see her hurt. The years they spent in Dragonstone were heavenly. Sure, she fought with Daemon and Jacearys, and perhaps sometimes she longed for the days when it was only herself in the castle. But seeing her mother shine in bliss, in love with her husband and children, Visenya would have it no other way.

She had sacrificed so much. For her and her siblings, for the crown, for the family. Gods knew Visenya was not the easiest daughter to have, but even after each wrong turn she took, each fight, each problem she caused, her mother welcomed her with love and patience. With understanding. If Visenya knew a bit of peace in this life, if a tiny bit of her heart knew love, it was thanks to her mother. And ensuring her serenity was the least she could do to repay her.