Prologue

Location: North Sea, off the coast of Germany

Coordinates: [CLASSIFIED]

Current time: 22:46

Weather: Clear - low amount of cloud coverage

Mission: Investigate anomalous activity near [CLASSIFIED]

Kansen assigned: Sachsen-class frigates FGS Sachsen, FGS Hamburg, FGS Hessen

________________________________________________________________________________

Off the coast of Germany, three kansen sisters sailed through the darkness of the star-filled night. They have been assigned to a strange mission, with all three of them curious.

"No activities so far. Keep your eyes on your radars."
The frigate Sachsen said before continuing to admire the view, watching how the moon beautifully reflected off of the ocean's surface.
"Though I must admit, even if this mission of ours turns out to be a false call, the view alone makes up for it."

"You said it. I always find sailing during the night to be very soothing - especially when near the coast. Watching the sea of lights from the coastal cities and lighthouses in the distance while having the entire milky way shining above you is simply fantastic. We should visit Borkum if we get the chance."
Hessen looked up as she watched a beam of light from a nearby lighthouse illuminate the sky.

"Aw, little sister, I did not know you were such a night owl. I guess that explains why you are always the first kansen to volunteer to take on night operations."
Hamburg had a teasing expression on her face, a slight chuckle escaping her lips. Among the three kansen sisters, she was always the most 'energetic' one.

"Ugh. We are on a special operation and yet you still like teasing me, don't you? You even behave like this towards our American allies."
A small frown was seen on Hessen's face. Teasing is all well and good, as long as you don't go overboard.

"...Speaking of 'strange operations', I am quite curious myself. We were sent to investigate anomalous activities located in the North Sea. Command stated that our target gives off a rather strong signature on our radars, so we should be able to find it soon. Stay alert."
Sachsen took a glance back at her two younger sisters, checking her radar systems.

"I wonder though, why specifically were we three the ones to get deployed? We are frigates specialized for anti-aircraft operations, after all. You'd expect one of the research ships to get sent in order to deal with any 'anomalies'. Planet, for example."
With a curious expression, Hessen looked at her sister. It was true - scientific and anomalous investigations are the forte of research ship kansen like FGS Planet, after all.

"No, Planet's currently out and about somewhere near the US testing experimental torpedoes. She's a weapons research ship, what did you expect?"
Hamburg chuckled, then deciding to take the opportunity to tease her little sister.
"And besides, since this 'anomaly' we're supposed to investigate loves appearing on radars, what does that mean? Exactly! We have big radar dishes to detect it. Just to remind you, that's that big spinning thing on your rigging there."

"Gottverdammt, Hamburg! Stop treating me like a kid. I know that I am the youngest kansen of our class, but that is just because I was commissioned two years later than you. At least I did not scream 'LET ME AT THOSE GLORIFIED FLYING TIN CANS!' during the last anti-air exercise."

Her expression turned to that of pouting. Hamburg was always like this - Hessen thought that she must have learned her lesson by now after calling the Royal Navy supercarrier HMS Prince of Wales a 'Russian Spy' just because she took a liking to Vodka. It appears Hamburg did not, in fact, learn her lesson.