Chapter 21: Zero Seconds To Midnight

TASK FORCE: Special Anomalous Investigation Strike Force 'LACUNA - 1'

Task Force Status:
[----DEFCON 2 IS IN EFFECT----]

MISSION UPDATE:

[HOSTILE FORCE ENCOUNTERED // THIS IS NO DRILL]

Proceed to target coordinates --COMPLETED--
Proceed with objectives ALEPH – WAW - TETH --CURRENT--

ENEMY WMD CAPABILITIES VIA VESSEL "OROCHI" CONFIRMED // FOCUS ON AIR DEFENSE CRUCIAL TO PREVENT ANNIHILATION

DO NOT LET OROCHI REACH US

DO NOT LET OROCHI REACH OUR ALLIES

OR ALL WILL BE LOST

Addendum Gerald R. Ford:
This battle will force us all to face the horrors of nuclear weapons; A monster so destructive and relentless in its nature that it nearly led to the global annihilation of our home multiple times in the past. And yet, despite this luckily not having occurred even with multiple close-calls, we must not become careless.

We have come this far. We can – will – finish this and return home.

_________________________________________________________________________

"General Quarters, General Quarters. All hands on battle stations. Set material condition 'Zebra' throughout all compartments. Reason for General Quarters: Hostile surface contacts – WMD capable. This is not a drill - repeat, this is not a drill."

Sounds of an alarm permeated the air as every single member of the task force sprung into action. Much sooner than the kansen of the Azur Lane were able to, given their lack of range.

"Anti-Aircraft systems are in full alert. No inbound hostile aerial units detected."
Hessen reported. Her, along with her two sisters Sachsen and Hamburg, were tasked with the most important job of all – protecting Gerald R. Ford, Queen Elizabeth and the entire rest of the task force, including kansen of the Azur Lane, from aerial threats – essentially forming an aerial 'shield' around them.

And it was needed – especially with weapons of mass destruction potentially heading their way.

"Status report: Subsurface clear. No inbound contacts detected. Continuing to monitor."
U35 reported. The same counted for the two attack submarines U33 and U35 lurking in the depths. Their tasks were nearly identical with those of their Anti-Aircraft-focused friends, but instead of eliminating aircraft and general aerial threats, they were eliminating enemy submarines and other subsurface threats before they could reach the fleet.

From the intel the task force could piece together, they knew that Orochi was capable of utilizing nuclear warheads. They just did not know what kind.

It could be a cruise missile – a free-falling bomb - or a nuclear torpedo.

They were not taking any chances in this case.

"Be advised: Objective ALEPH equipped with EMS weaponry. Range and general capabilities unknown. Prepare for potential evasive maneuvers."

Of course, the task force would not be complete without the two carriers Gerald R. Ford and Queen Elizabeth – the most dangerous and combat-capable kansen of them all.

Their multiple squadrons of jet aircraft secured the skies, their network of AWACS aircraft ensuring that nothing and nobody remained hidden.

At night, this spectacle of the tight coordination and cooperation between frigates, submarines and main carriers seemed even more impressive. They operated like a well-oiled machine - both efficient and desperately needed in their current situation.