Chapter 22: Dawn of a New Time

The two main carriers of the task force faced each other.

Their faces – completely neutral, a mask of professionalism attempting to cover their emotions.

Their eyes wander over the battlefield, witnessing how the situation had developed.

Their task force – their allies and friends – could not keep up for long.

They themselves – the two carriers tasked with leading all of them through the mission safely – were compromised, with one of them having suffered damage which could only be barely controlled.

And worst of all –

The loss of Hessen, and the permanent feeling of having failed her, even if she had sacrificed her own life by her own choice.

The two carriers once again glanced at each other.

With the lives of both them and those who trusted them in imminent danger, and with the Sirens most likely soon moving in to finish them off, their hands have been forced – even if they had hoped that this would never be the case.

They both gave a silent nod, exchanging a particular set of highly complex codes with each other.

As soon as the complete and unmistaken confirmation had been reached, the following words were sent and heard through every single radio channel on every possible frequency, reaching both friend and foe.

"Attention – The worst-case scenario has occurred. Defense Readiness Condition code DEFCON 1 has been declared by the order of USS Gerald R. Ford and HMS Queen Elizabeth on behalf of the Special Anomalous Investigation Strike Force 'Lacuna – 1'.

A retaliatory aerial nuclear strike on Siren vessel 'Orochi' has thus been ordered to be executed at the time of midnight, 00:00 o'clock precisely. The blast radius of this attack is expected to cover the entirety of the battlefield, annihilating everything no matter if friend or foe. Due to this, evacuation helicopters will be deployed to several designated locations across the battlefield to extract all present individuals before the blast which is set to occur in T minus thirty minutes.

Do not attempt to be brave. Do not attempt to be courageous. There is no honor or fame to be gained from losing your life in nuclear hellfire. Please, do not turn this tragedy of fate towards a worse course that it already is.

Repeat, this is not a drill. A retaliatory nuclear strike is imminent. Board your nearest evacuation helicopter as quickly as possible within the next thirty minutes. There is no other escape."

This message quickly reached every single kansen present on both sides of the battlefield, its impact taking on massive proportions.

Every kansen both of the Azur Lane and Crimson Axis realized what this meant, especially the Commander. They were now effectively acting on limited time.

The task force soon began their preparations, with all available helicopters from all members soon taking off, embarking on their journey to evacuate as many from the battlefield as possible.

During this, Gerald R. Ford stood upon her carrier's flight deck, watching as the elevators of the carrier brought a squadron of two F-35 planes into view. They slowly rolled across the flight deck until they reached the catapults, locking in and readying themselves for launch.

Mounted to their hard-points were a pair of bombs once secured within the deepest parts of the ship – their identification numbers printed upon them open to be seen.

'B61-12'

It will be all over soon.

____________________________________