Chapter 1

I hesitated stepping through the front doors. My nerves almost got the better of me. I took a deep breath and entered. Cautiously approaching the receptionist desk I asked the woman sitting there, "Can I see Aro?"

"May I tell him who is calling on him?"

"Ava Swan."

"Just a moment Miss. I'll see if he is available."

The receptionist left her post and went through the doors behind her. I breathed deeply, trying to stop my knees from shaking.

It was only a few moments later and the receptionist returned. She had two red eyed vampires behind her. I took another deep breath.

"Aro will see you now," the receptionist told me.

I was guided to the same large circular room where I had been taken when I had come to save Edward.

"Ah, my lovely Ava, you return to us," Aro called from the central throne.

"Still human," Caius interjected.

"Calm yourself Caius. What can we do for you this lovely day Ava?"

"I can no longer follow your command that I become one of you. The Cullens have abandoned me after refusing to change me. I came to see if you would still like me to join you."

"I am most disappointed in my old friend Carlisle. You know young Ava you have taken quite the risk in approaching us like this. We could just kill you." Marcus noted in an uninterested tone.

"I knew that was a risk when I came. I am missing from my classes at Washington State University. It might be necessary to finalize my death whatever choice you make. My truck is in long term parking at the airport, and you might need to send someone to stage it appropriately. My father is Chief of Police in Forks, Washington and will not believe that I have disappeared for long."

"But why take the risk in the first place?" Aro asked.

"Because I knew you would come for me eventually. I didn't want there to be any other people standing between us. I didn't want anyone getting hurt because of me. It might have been tomorrow, it might have been ten years from now. But I didn't want anyone coming between us when the time came. I'd rather come here and take my chances."

"That was very brave of you young one." Aro said encouragingly.

"Thank you Master Aro. What am I to do now?"

"If you would give me and my brothers a few minutes to discuss your fate?" Aro asked.

"Of course." I replied. I was escorted from the room by the two vampires who had guided me in.

I was taken back to the receptionists office and guided to the couch. The vampires stood silently behind me and stood as still and quiet as gargoyles.

After a few minutes passed the nervousness got the better of me and I addressed one of the two vampires.

"May I ask your name?" I asked the tallest and most intimidating of the two.

His gaze met mine briefly and he answered somewhat hesitantly.

"I am Felix, little one."

"Hi, Felix, I'm Ava. How long have you been with the Volturi?"

"Ah, little one I have been here for eight hundred years."

I choked on my breath. "That's a long time. How old are you?"

"They are calling for you now little one."

"Let's face the music then. If I don't get the chance to say it, it was nice to meet you Felix."

The other vampire led the way and Felix followed behind me. He really was an uncommonly large man, er vampire.