Chapter 11

Ava's Pov

I drank blood spiked wine with Felix and Alec. We played cards but I was hopeless at poker. Instead of me getting mad over losing Alec suggested we play thirteen. I knew that one and we played hand after hand late into the night.

"So how did you change, Alec?" I asked while Felix shuffled cards.

"I was convicted of being a witch about four hundred years ago along with Jane. Aro had heard that we had powers, Jane's ability to cause pain had already manifested. Aro rescued us, killed all the villagers, and changed us that very night."

"How horrible for you. At least you got to keep your sister in your life."

"We were only sixteen at the time. But it worked out. Our mother had already been convicted as a witch and burned and our father was a terrible man. Being changed was the best thing for us."

We played three more hands before I asked, "How often do you go on missions like the one Demetri is on now?"

"Demetri goes alone sometimes because he's a tracker," Felix said, "He's also the head of the guard, and as you can see he's better in combat than any three of us. Though don't tell him I ever admitted that."

"On average, we take six to eight trips a year but most of those are in groups," Alec added. "This one is an easy one. There is just one newborn and its maker to deal with. I wouldn't be surprised if he's home in a day or two."

"I'm ready for some more wine, how about you two?" I asked.

I went to the bar and poured myself another glass. I was starting to get antsy. I felt unsettled, uncomfortable, more out of control than usual. I went back to the table and saw them sharing looks.

"Okay boys, what are the looks about?" I asked hesitantly.

"It's the mating bond that has you feeling so out of sorts. It's more than just not seeing your mate, it's that he's getting farther from you. You'll get used to the feeling I'm told but it's not an easy thing even for a mature vampire," Felix admitted.

"We're here for you," Alec said. "We just need to keep you as distracted as possible over the next day or so."

"Alright, I guess I need to learn to deal with it. Let's play some more thirteen."

It was about four am when we finished. I was feeling a little bit tipsy but not very bad. I remembered how I'd drank until I fell asleep when I was human.

"There was no chance I was going to keep up with you all drinking and playing cards when I was human was there?"

"Nope," Felix admitted, "but it was fun to watch you try."

"I think I'll watch a movie until it's time for me to feed, anyone want to join me?"

"Heidi is waiting on me," Felix admitted.

"I will," Alec said.

"What kind of movies do you like Alec?"

"Action mostly but we can watch something else if you prefer."

"No, I like action, why don't we watch your favorite."

Alec reached up and pulled a box of the overfull shelves.

"300 is your favorite action movie?"

"Yeah, is that alright?"

"Perfect, can you put it in? I might break it."

Jane had joined us by the time 300 was over. "Let's go get you fed Bella."

"I just need to stop in my room for some fresh clothes on the way. Thanks for keeping me company, Alec,"