Chapter 5

Ava's Pov

I woke with a headache but found two Tylenol and a glass of water on my bedside table. I wonder who left them for me. I have no idea what time it is but today is my very last day human. I'm quick to take a shower and brush the bad taste out of my mouth. I get dressed a little more slowly. Remembering that Demetri said he needs to bite my inner thigh for the quickest transformation. I go through my clothing. I brought one dress with me. I intended to change into it to see the Masters for the first time but now, I think it will be appropriate for today.

As I slide the dress over my head my nerves start to get the better of me. I take deep breaths to calm myself, and slide on my ballet flats. I hadn't been reading for minutes before there was a knock on my door.

I open it to find Demetri there. He must have talked to Felix because he has a big plate of pancakes and sausage with him. I sit at the little table and begin to eat. Demetri sits across from me. I eat in quiet and then when I am finished I put down my fork and knife and look in Demetri's freshly fed eyes.

I don't know why it doesn't bother me and I couldn't tell you but it doesn't. I knew that this decision would take away my feeding preferences and I guess I've accepted it.

I smile at him. "Good morning Master Demetri. I guess I'm not up to playing drinking games with vampires yet."

"You will be soon. Never fear. Barring your early night in bed did you have fun yesterday?"

"Oh I did." I enthused. "Felix took me to a wonderful dinner and we chatted about all sorts of things. Then I get back to the castle and run into you. Then the game and my late night."

"You mentioned before you fell asleep last night that I should ask you what you want to remember today."

"That's right and I had forgotten all about that. I want to remember growing up with my mom, Rene. I want to remember the Phoenix sunshine. I want to remember my Dad, Charlie. Charlie is chief of police in Forks Washington. I want to remember my friend, Jacob Black and how him and his pack of wolves saved my life. P want to remember to never trust the Cullens. I don't want to make the same mistakes as a vampire that I made as a human and believe anything they say."

"And what did the Cullens do, Ava, that has you so firmly against them?"

"They acted like they were my family. They called me family, then the first time Jasper takes a snap at me they abandoned me like I was an old toy. They left me with two vampires after me and no way to reach them for help. They called me daughter and sister and then they treated me like garbage. No note, no goodbye, just a disappearing act and Edward breaking my world apart."

"And do you want to see them punished for their behavior Ava? That is part of my position here. I could have them brought up on charges."

"Yes, and no. I don't want to see them killed but I would like to see them removed from human society so the next human Edward takes advantage of doesn't have to experience what I did."

"You are a very fair minded person, Ava."

"They've proved they can't be trusted to be humane let alone pass as human. I don't think they deserve the human world and the human world definitely doesn't deserve them."

"So what happened with the pack of shape shifters that call the Quilute reservation home?"

"It was after the Cullens had left I started becoming closer friends with Jacob Black. Then he changed in to a shape shifter. Victoria and Laurent were still hunting me but I didn't know it. The pack protected me at my house and school and followed me when I made a useless trip to Edward's meadow. It was a place we used to go when it was sunny out and he had to stay out of the public eye. I made the trip alone, I thought, but when I got there, Laurent was there. He said a lot of things about how he would kill me painlessly which I should be grateful for because Victoria wanted to make my end painful. Then, there was the pack. Laurent ran but he didn't escape. He was ready to kill me when they arrived and they killed him for it. After that I was being guarded constantly, with Jake or one or two of the other wolves, even with their imprints while they guarded the trible. I owe my life to those wolves and if there is ever anything I can do for them I want to know so that I can do it."