Chapter 3

Ava's POV

I sighed as I closed the door behind me after Demetri escorted me back to my room. I unbraided my hair and brushed it quickly. Changing into pajamas, I went to curl up in bed as I thought. Tomorrow would be my last full day human.

What would I miss from being human? I'd never get drunk, I'd never eat or drink anything but blood again, I'd never sleep again. It was strange.

I had learned so much from the trip to the archives and I wanted to let the information puddle in the back of my mind. I'd burn for less than three days. Demetri would be with me the entire time.

The thought of Demetri being there was comfortable. I felt safe in his company in a way I didn't feel in Madison's. I was comfortable with Felix too. I hadn't spent any time with Chelsea, Jane, or Reneta. It would take a little time till I was comfortable with everyone.

I wonder if Demetri could be persuaded to let me get drunk. I really would like to experience that once in my lifetime.

I found myself smiling as I drifted off to sleep.

I woke early on my last morning alive. I showered, shaved everywhere, and got dressed for my day. I knew it was going to be a little while until breakfast so I went to read more. The vampire book was very interesting and I found myself absorbed.

Before I realized the time had passed there was a knock on my door. I darted to the door to greet Demetri. Throwing open the door I smiled eagerly. It wasn't Demetri it was Madison. I found myself a little disappointed. She placed my food on the small table. "I'll be outside the door until it is time for your lunch Ava,"

"Thank you Madison, I really do appreciate it."

I went to eat my breakfast and was surprised when the door opened behind me.

"I just can't resist," Madison said and She lunged at me. I screamed loud and long but something blocked her from being able to get to me. She tried three times but was blocked each time. Before I could wonder why for too long Felix was there and I relaxed. Felix manhandled her out the door and I heard the sound of tearing metal. Moments later he was back with me and I could smell an incense-like scent strong in the air. Felix placed himself in front of me and slipped into a crouch.

It was about one hundred heartbeats later that Demetri arrived and Felix straightened out of his crouch immediately.

"She couldn't get to me," I whispered.

"What was that Ava?" Felix asked.

"She tried to lunge at me and came up against an invisible wall, did you do that Felix?"

"No Ava, I don't have a gift besides never losing my newborn strength," Felix answered.

"We need to tell the Masters this, could you join us, Ava?"

"Of course," I whispered. I went to take a step and darkness claimed me.

I came back to myself in someone's arms with a discussion being had over my head about what they should do.

I was in Felix's arms when I looked up. "I'm okay guys. It just got to be too much I guess. You can put me down Felix."

Felix lowered me to my feet but kept his hands on my waist until he was sure that I could steady myself and walk.

"Lets go talk to the Masters," Demetri said.

"Yes Master Demetri," I replied. Demetri walked in front of me and Felix walked behind. I didn't feel like a prisoner this time instead I felt guarded and protected.

When we arrived in the gathering room Aro greeted us. "I'm glad to see you well, young Ava. I'm afraid we all heard your scream of distress earlier. Felix and Demetri came to you immediately."