Fools Rush In

The Next Day
November 14th; 2023
Taylor Swift's Point of View
Travis is standing next to me at the front of the Rhode Island house. Both of us are unsure of how to approach the situation so we've been standing at the front door for five minutes. I was supposed to meet my family here to celebrate the Eras Tour starting again but now it's something completely different. Oh shit the tour. I'm going to have to postpone it. God, I'm always screwing over the international fans. Ironically, me getting screwed is what screwed them over. My morning sickness has yet to get any better and it's been torturing me. Travis was on the plane with me when I vomited into a doggie bag and I could tell he had no idea what to do. He didn't know whether he should help me or let me do my thing. He debated it for so long that I was done when he had decided. I'll never learn what that choice was.

"Are we just going to stand here?" Travis looks at me confused as it's been just 20 minutes of standing at the door.

"No. It's just when I go in there I know I'm going to have to tell them and...I don't know how they're going to react." I sigh holding my clutch while wearing a simple floral tank and jeans.

"If it's any consolation, I'm terrified of meeting your family. I don't know what they're going to think of me and I don't want to get beat up. You're this beautiful, amazing, high-class woman, talented, and then there's me. I'm nothing compared to you."

"Travis you're not nothing. You're a lot of things. You're kind, caring, and warm. You're the most genuine man I've ever met. My family is going to love you." The two of us smile and I finally ring the doorbell. I think a small pep talk is what we needed. Knowing he's scared too oddly helps me. I feel less alone.

My mom opens the door and Travis and I both walk in. "Sorry for being late." We're over two hours late. I'm usually good about being on time but I tried to put off coming here as long as possible.

"I thought it was just you coming." My mom questions me as this is supposed to be a celebration with the four of us.

"Yeah, change of plans." All of us walk into the living room and Travis and I sit next to one another on a sofa. Both our bodies are tensed up as we watch my parents and brother.

"So, who's your friend?" Austin asks awkwardly. The presence of Travis has made the atmosphere questionable and unclear. He's unknown. My family has never been into football.

"This is Travis. We met a couple of months ago at a party." I carefully explain to them. "I asked him to come."

"Why?" It's a valid question. He's a stranger.

"I thought we could talk first but I guess we're just going to jump right into it." I sigh and pick at my fingers.

"Is everything okay?" My dad asks.

The room was quiet for at least 30 seconds. It's like room tone was being taken and all that could be heard was your own breath and heartbeat in your chest. "I'm pregnant," I mumble looking at the ground. I refuse to make eye contact with anyone.

"We can't hear you, honey. It's okay. You can trust us." My mom tries to comfort me to drag the words out but they feel stuck. I take a deep breath and stop cowering.

"I'm pregnant." The room was already quiet but it managed to become dead silent. It became infected with shock. "I'm keeping the baby," I add.

"Who's the father? You're not dating anyone. Did you get back together with Joe?" Of course, my mom must know.

"Joe and I haven't seen each other in months," I explain to her.

"How far along are you?" My dad asks.