Part 2 - Chapter 30 - What's The Difference?

[Authors Note]

Thank you for reading my story so far, I never expected to get this many reads simply out of a passion project I started back in January. It means the world to me!

Welcome to part two of 'Love Is The Best Medicine!'

Enjoy, Gazelle

-

Summer had arrived in full force. The leaves were a vibrant green, mirroring the tall grass below it. The flowers of the valley were also in their bloom, creating beautiful patterns along the hillsides. The sun painted the sky with strokes of gold and cerulean, casting a warm and inviting glow upon the landscape. The air was sweet with the scent of blooming flowers and the earthy aroma of the surrounding farmland.

Life for you in the past year had changed greatly, and certainly for the better.

Reflecting on the journey you had endured already filled you with hope for the future.

You were terrified but excited when you first moved to the valley, full of desire to start anew. But that all changed when you got severely injured and ended up in the care of Dr. Harvey, an incident that would change you forever.

The journey hadn't been easy, and there were still more challenges to come, but for once you felt prepared. Or at least you thought you were.

"I've got my monthly appointment with George today." Harvey frowned, his voice tinged with annoyance.

"What's wrong with that Harv?" You replied, your eyebrows furrowed.

"He's so miserable Eva, he makes getting old somehow even more undesirable than it already is."

"Aw, cmon Harv," you began, trying to reassure him. "It's not easy being old, things just stop working one day and there's nothing you can do about it."

"I know, trust me, I'm a doctor." He chuckled, kissing your forehead and adorning his coat from the rail. "Im older than you think, my love." He half-smiled, slightly downtrodden. "In fact, I think you mistake me for someone else half the time." He stated, going to open the door.

"I don't mistake you for anyone, you are the only person I know to make glasses cute." You giggled, Harvey's half smile now full.

"I'll be back soon for dinner, I'm looking forward to it." Harvey's voice was soft and warm, his gaze lingering on you. Saying your goodbyes, you started to prep dinner. You had both planned a date night every week as a way to spend quality time with one another with no distractions by farms or clinics. Tonight was a home cooked dinner prepared by you.

You had purchased some tea lights and long centrepiece candles, to add to the romantic atmosphere of the evening. You had even indulged in some rose petals and red wine, Harvey's favourite.

-

You started by boiling the pasta and grating the cheese. Tonight you made a carbonara, your favourite recipe.

With the pasta and cheese prepped, you moved on to the heart of the dish – the carbonara sauce. Crackling eggs into a bowl, you whisked them together, creating a velvety canvas for the other flavors to settle within. The sizzle of bacon in a separate pan made your mouth water, the scent of its smoky richness mingling with grated parmasean.

As you rushed to put the final touches in place, the door opened. You turned to find Harvey walking in from work, his eyes sunken and heavy with exhaustion. His eyes widened in appreciation as he took in the scene you had set. The flickering candles, the gentle fragrance of the food, and the inviting atmosphere – it was everything.