Chapter 9

Third Person POV

"Please help me! Stop hurting me please! I don't want it" Adrianna kept screaming in pain waking up her brothers and father in the process.

   Soon enough her dad was inside the room alongside the others. She was tossing around and struggling. During the course of struggling, she broke the headboard into two. The noise made from it didn't wake her up though.

   They didn't know how to calm her down but they knew that something had to be done really soon or things could get worse.

  Angelo quickly rushed to his room to get a sedative but he couldn't use it yet. He needed her to be still to inject her.

   Alessandro quickly got on the bed trying to get her to wake up.
"Bambina, it's just a dream. You are safe. You are with papa. You are okay. It's just a dream. It's not real"
He held her and gently stroked her head. She started calming down considerably.

  She eventually stopped tossing and turning. Angelo took that as his cue to give her the sedative.

   When he got closer to her with the syringe and she saw it, she immediately pushed Alessandro away and punched Angelo in the gut.

   Her eye was wilder than usual and they could see that seeing the syringe had triggered something in her. They had to give her the sedative fast or else things could really get worse.

   Elio and Emiliano held her down and despite the fact that they are two strong men, she almost threw them away if not for Armando who helped.

  Angelo took the chance and quickly injected her. Before she passed out she said, "I don't want it. It hurts".

   They knew she wasn't talking about the sedative that was just administered but something related in her dream.

   Elio carried her to his room and laid her on his bed.
As he was about to leave her side, she subconsciously held his hand.
"Don't leave me"
He got another blanket and laid on the bed with her, pulling her close to him.

   Although it took some time for him to relax, he was able to sleep. He was too busy thinking of how they could find a way to help his little Ria.

   Adrianna and Elio woke up the next day to not so silent "awwn's" coming from the door of the room. Their father was busy taking pictures of the  siblings cuddling.

   Adrianna quickly got up from the bed. She let out a awkward cough and excused herself. Alessandro followed suit. Elio shook his head and got up to do his morning routine.

  Adrianna was feeling embarrassed about the incidents of the previous night. But she could see that they truly care about her. She had a faint smile on her face when she remembered how warm she felt when she was with Elio.

   She opened her closet to see that all the clothes Elio had bought for her had all been arranged into the closet. She took out a pair of denim jeans and a red T-shirt. She took them to the bathroom and did her routine.

  She went down for breakfast after she was done. Everyone was at the table except Armando. Elio noticed her eyes linger on Armando's seat and spoke to her.
"He had some urgent work to do. He will be back soon". She nodded back in reply.

   She took some pancakes and added syrup on them. Unlike before, she didn't rush her food and ate it at a normal pace.

   They were subtly watching her body language to see if she was bothered by last night's incident.

  "Sorry about.. um.. last night. I disturbed you guys. It won't happen again" Her father took a hold of her hand.

  "You can never disturb us, bambina. You always come first. If you don't mind telling us, what did you dream about yesterday? It's not compulsory to tell us. Whenever you are ready, we will listen". Overwhelmed by his words, she squeezed his hand back.

  "Can you give me time? I promise to tell you guys soon. I just need time"

"Of course Ria. There's no need to tell us if you are not ready".

  She smiled at his words and continued eating. Once she finished, Angelo who had been silently watching since morning, spoke to her.

  "If you are done, let's go to my lab for the tests. If we do them now, we should have the results by evening time. Are you ready? "
Angelo stood up. He waited for her by the stairs. She followed him upstairs to his lab.

  His lab is very large with equipments at multiple corners of the room. Angelo wears his lab coat that is hanging on a coat rack at the end of the room. He puts on gloves and a nose mask.

  "Please lay down on the bed" He pointed towards a hospital bed in the middle of the room. She lay down on the bed slightly nervous. Even as strong as she is physically, she is really scared of needles.

   Angelo walks over with a stainless tray that had some cotton wool, spirit, syringes and a couple of small containers.

  Angelo noticed her reaction to the syringe needle and decided to distract her. He tied an elastic band around her arm.

  "So tell me, how was your life back in America?" She quickly caught on to what he was trying to do but played along.

"Well, I lived with two people I thought were my parents. I have a best friend and I'm the school freak. I guess if you exclude the fact that I want to be with my best friend now, this place is actually better than America. What about you? How has life been in this huge house? "
By now, he had drawn the first sample of blood.

   "Well.. Life in this house has always been okay I guess. I am sorry I couldn't protect you all those years ago. I failed you. I am really sorry ". He couldn't bring himself to look her in the eyes. The guilt that has been eating away at him for years was finally coming to the surface.

   Adrianna used her other hand to raise his chin up.
"You were not at fault and can never be. You were a little child. There was nothing you could have done about that. You are a wonderful brother  so far and I know that you must have tried to help me and mum. You didn't fail us ".
She surprised the both of them by giving him a hug.
"Thank you tesoro ". He mumbled into her ear.
He finished drawing her blood and inserted the samples in the machines.

  "They should be ready around 3pm. What do you want to do in the meanwhile? I have to get to work soon. Oh, I almost forgot. Have you been given a tour of the house? "
She shook her head.

"We can do that now then". He threw his arm around her shoulder and took her to the second floor.

  "The first room here is for father, the next one is for Armando then the last one is mine. Let's go upstairs" They took the elevator to the third floor.

"This is father's office and I'm sure you have been here before, the room in the middle is the library. The last is the gym". At the mention of the library, Adrianna rushed in. Immediately she entered, the smell of the books hit her like a wave. Angelo let out a little laugh at her reaction.

"Well that concludes the tour. There's a pool at the back. You shouldn't be on the last floor. Understood? " His tone turned serious at the last sentence.

  "OK that's not a problem. I will be in the library. You can go to work now" She waved her hand to him.

He looked at her with a far look in his eyes.
"Mum loved books too. Father even built this library. She used to spend most of her time here with you" He couldn't bear to continue and left.

   Adrianna smiled at the fact that this was her mum's special place and she even shared it with her. She started taking a look around the library and took out a book to read.

    It seemed like 3pm had quickly come when Elio came to tell Adrianna to come downstairs for the test results.

   She followed him feeling a pit in her stomach. Everyone including Armando who was not around in ten morning was present.

  Angelo stood up from the couch where he sat with a folder in his hand. He had a grim expression on his face that told them that whatever he had in his hands couldn't be good.

"Armando's theory was correct but unfortunately it's even more complicated than that"

Author's note:
Did you enjoy this chapter?
What do you think Adrianna keeps on dreaming about and why could she be afraid of needles?
Don't forget to vote, comment and follow guys! 💗💮