Sick Day 2.0

June 16-Smallville, Kansas

You tossed another tissue into the garbage before laying back down in bed. Clark placed his hand on your forehead and listened carefully.

"Your heartbeat is regular."

"I'm not dying, Clark. I'm just a little stuffy."

"You're hot too."

"Tell me something I don't know."

"Amber, you're warm. You might be coming down with something."

"I'm not sick."

You began to cough and sneeze repeatedly for a few moments. He handed you another tissue and rubbed your back.

"You were saying?"

"Whatever."

Jon came into the room a few minutes later and stood by the foot of the bed.

"What's wrong, kiddo?"

"Zeeke and Maw Maw are sick."

"Here we go." Clark sighed.

"Come here, baby." You said as you reached your arms out. You picked him up and touched his forehead. "Are you feeling okay?"

"I'm good."

"You sure?"

"Yup!"

"Maybe it's his Kryptonian side kicking in."

"Unfortunately, the rest of us are only human."

"You rest. Those of us with strong immune systems will take care of some things around the house."

"Why are they like that?" Kara asked.

Her and Clark were in the kitchen making lunch while the rest of you were in your rooms.

"They're sick."

"Are they going to die?"

"No." He chuckled. "They'll be fine."

"How can we help?"

"We can start by bringing them soup and tea."

"You're very good at this."

"Since I'm usually the only one who doesn't get sick, I'm the designated care taker." He handed her a tray of soup, food, and medicine for Zeeke. "And today, so are you."

She walked up the stairs and knocked on his door.

"Come in." Zeeke said with a hoarse voice.

She opened the door and set the tray down on the nightstand. "How are you feeling?" The blonde sat on the edge of the bed and handed him his medicine.

"Awful." He swallowed the liquid and made a sour face before drinking some water to wash it out.

"That should make you feel better." She handed him the bowl of soup and watched him blow on it before taking a spoonful. "Is it good?"

"Did dad make this?"

"He did."

"I can tell. It's the one he always makes when I'm sick."

"He truly cares about you. He is so much like his father."

"What was he like?"

"Smart, brave, kind, selfless. Jor-El was incredible." She handed him the cup of tea. "Have you ever thought about why your powers have not come in yet? I know your mother is human, but you should be able to have your father's abilities."

"He's not my real dad."

"What do you mean?"

"He's my stepdad."

"I'm not familiar with that term."

"My parents got married and had me, but then they got divorced. Like, they split up. Then, my mom married Clark and had Jon. Then my dad married my stepmom, Cassie, and they had Riley."

"Kal is your father, but he is also not?"

"I guess so."

"Does that not make you sad? That your parents are no longer together?"

"It used to when I was younger. But not anymore."

"Why not?"

"Clark loves my mom, and Cassie loves my dad. And they all love me, my brother, and my sister. We're still a family. We just do things differently. That's what my mom always says."

"Your mother is a very intelligent woman."

"She is."

"You should get some rest. If you need anything, I'll be downstairs."

"Thanks, Kara."

She got up and closed the door on her way out. When she got back downstairs, Clark and Jon were playing with cars on the floor.

"Is he okay?" Clark asked.

"I think he will be back to normal soon." She sat on the floor with them and watched them play. "Why did you not tell me that you were not Zeeke's real father?"

"I didn't think it mattered."

"That is a very commendable thing for you to do, Kal."

"What?"

"Taking care of a child that is not your own. Raising him, and loving him as if he is. I think more men should learn to be like you."

"It's not hard. I love Zeeke. And as far as I'm concerned, he is my son."

"So am I!"

"Yes, Jon. So are you."

Conner came in a few minutes later and brought Kara and Jon outside to teach them out to move hay bales. You eventually made you way down into the kitchen as Clark was cleaning up.

"Hey. You feeling better?"

"Much. You always know what to do to make me better."

"What about Zeeke and my mom?"

"Asleep in their rooms. Jon, Kara, and Conner?"

"Outside working."

"Is that so?"

"Do I actually have you all to myself right now?"

"It appears you do."

He wrapped his arms around your waist and kissed you softly. Your hands when to his biceps as you held onto them tightly. Before anything else could happen, there was a loud crash outside. You both looked at each other before sprinting outside to the barn. Jon was standing there with Kara and Conner when you ran over to them.

"Baby, are you okay?" You asked as you hugged him tightly.

"I'm okay!"

"Conner, Kara, what happened?"

"That happened." Conner said while pointing to the ripped off barn door.

"What the hell?"

"How did that happen?"

"Your son."

"Jon?"

"He sneezed."

Clark bent down and put his hands on the boy's shoulders.

"Jon, did you do this?"

"I'm sorry, daddy."

"It's okay. I'm not mad. I'm happy."

"Why?"

"Jon, you're getting your powers."