Growing Pains

August 20-Smallville, Kansas

You finished packing up most of your stuff so you could leave right after Kara went to school. You set the suitcase aside and sat on the bed.

"Amber?"

"Yeah, honey?"

"Can you take me to the store?"

"Sure. What do you need?"

"Um..." Kara hesitated and closed the door as she sat next to you. 

"It's okay. You don't have to say it. I know how awkward it is talking about your period."

"No, it's not that."

"Oh. Then what?"

"I need...protection."

"What?"

"Condoms."

"Oh my god. You're having sex." You panicked. "I should've figured. You're 17 with a boyfriend, of course you're having sex."

"I'm not having sex. Not yet."

"Yet?"

"I want to. David and I both do. We just want to be careful."

"That's...actually very responsible of you."

"Will you get them for me?"

"Kara, listen. You're young. Just because sex is glorified in movies, tv, and music, that doesn't mean that you should just jump right into it. I don't want you to do something you'll regret."

"I know it's only been a month, but I love David. And he loves me. I'm not going to regret showing that love."

"Why do you have to be so mature?" You groaned. "You have to promise me that you will use protection every time."

"I promise."

"And never let anyone pressure you. Even if they are your boyfriend."

"I won't."

"And promise me you won't let Clark find out I gave these to you."

"I swear."

You reached into your suitcase and pulled out a few condoms and handed them to her.

"I need you to promise me something else."

"Anything."

"If you're ever in trouble, or need advice, or just wanna talk, you'll call me."

"I will. I promise."

You hugged her and sighed.

"At least one of us is having sex."

"Alright." Clark sighed as he shut his suitcase. "I think that's the last of it."

"I'm exhausted." You groaned as you walked behind him and wrapped your arms around his waist.

"Let's get some dinner then head to bed."

You quietly went down to the kitchen, trying not to wake the boys, and warmed up some leftovers.

"Did Kara already go to bed?" He asked. "I wanted to talk to her about school."

"Uh...she's really tired I think. Just let her sleep. You'll talk to her in the morning."

"You're being weird."

"No."

"Yes. What's up?"

"Nothing."

"Then why did your heartbeat increase?"