Proud

August 2-Smallville, Kansas

"Hello?" Clark said as he answered the phone.

"Hey, Clark. How're you and Amber?"

"Hey, Perry. We're okay. I'm working on that article right now. It should be done in a few hours."

"Take your time. I just wanted to check in with you. I know you're trying to help out your family, but do you know when you might be back?"

"We'll be back on the 22. We just want to help my cousin adjust on her first day of school."

"I understand."

"How are things over there? Is Morgan Edge still trying to buy us out?"

"About that..."

"What?"

"We're going to take the deal."

"Perry, you can't do that!"

"I have no choice. We'll go broke if I don't. Trust me, I wish there was another way."

"There's always another way."

"I wish I had your optimism, Kent. You guys take care. We'll talk soon."

He hung up and sighed loud enough to get your attention from down the hall. You walked into the room and put your hands on his shoulders.

"Writer's block?"

"I wish that was the problem."

"What's wrong?"

"Perry's gonna sell."

"What? He can't do that!"

"He's already made up his mind."

"There has to be something we can do."

"Like what?"

"I don't know. But we can't just give up."

"We'll figure something out."

"We always do."

"Wait, how do I hang up?" Kara asked.

"The red button." Clark pressed it for her.

"Kryptonian tech is so different. This is all so new."

"You'll get the hang of it."

"It just beeped."

"David texted you."

"It's a face."

"That's an emoji."

"A what?"

"See?" He scrolled through all the emoji's.

"So many options."

"You have fun with that."

He got up and went to the kitchen to get a glass of water. You were sitting at the table on the phone.

"There he is. I'll call you later. Thanks again." You hung up and got up to kiss his cheek.

"Hey."

"Did you know that you have the best wife in the universe?"

"I did know that. You gonna tell me why?"

"I just saved The Planet! Well, not the planet, but you know what I mean."

"What are you talking about?"

"I was talking to Bruce, and I mentioned our little problem, he said he'd be happy to donate some money to out buy Morgan Edge!"