8

Nyx's pov

Here I am again, sat in the uncomfortable iron chair, the bloodied knife laying in a zip lock bag on the table infront of me.

"Would you like to explain yourself?" Detective Reed sat infront of me, the principal and the chief standing beside him.

"I didn't do it." I crossed my arms, turning my head away from him.

"You said that last time but look at this." he chewed on a toothpick as he pointed to the murder weapon that was inside a plastic bag.

"I really didn't do it detective." I tried helplessly to defend myself.

"Then why was it in your room?" Mrs. Crestmond crossed her arms and rose an eyebrow.

"The killer must've put it there." I paused before continuing, "the REAL killer."

The chief sighed before saying, "Nyx, please be honest with us. If you tell the truth now your punishment will be less."

"I really didn't do it. Did you find my fingerprints on the knife?"

"There were none."

None?

"They must've worn gloves." I spoke after a moment of silence.

"Exactly, so we don't know if you did it or if it was someone else." The detective leaned back in his chair as he spoke, playing with the toothpick in his mouth afterwards.

I groaned as I leaned my head on my hands.

How do I prove that it wasn't me?

I think back to that day.

Right!

"The stab wounds looked as if they were hasty and messy. If I killed her there would be more blood on my body than just on my hands and face. I also spoke to Olivia earlier today and told her that my necklace was missing. If you ask her she can vouch that I was speaking the truth. I didn't have it back then."

Detective Reed nodded at my words, seemingly thinking it over.

"Hmmm, that's true. However, we can't let you go with just those words."

As soon as he said that an officer entered the interrogation room.

I watched as he walked towards the chief and the detective and whispered to them.

They looked surprised before they grumbled a quick 'excuse us' and left the room.

I sat under the watchful gaze of Mrs. Crestmond for about 15 minutes before the officers returned to the room.

"Well," The detective cleared his throat before speaking, " We have found evidence that proves Ms. Sinclair was not the killer."

Huh!

"Really?" I asked with a smile on my face, happy to finally go home. Home being the school.

"Yeah, uh, you're free to go." He scratched at his neck and suggested to the door.

I stood up from the uncomfortable chair and rubbed my behind.

I walked towards the door but stopped right before exiting the room.

I turned back to the detective. "Can I ask what the evidence was?"

He turned towards his chief before redirecting his attention to me.

"It was DNA found on the victim's body."

DNA huh.

I nodded at him before exiting the room.