18

Nyx's pov

After my last class for the day, I headed to the library to check out some books.

As I approached the library desk, I saw the librarian, Linda, rolling her eyes at me. "Do I have to see your face after every class Nyx?" she muttered as she closed her book.

I chuckled and leaned against the desk. "You know you're happy to see me, Linda."

"I'm feeling a lot of things but happy isn't one of them."

I laughed lightly as I took two books off a shelf before walking to an aisle, searching for one book in particular.

The two other books acting as a cover for my true purpose here in the library.

"Hey Linda, does the school happen to have a book on Aldmoor's history?"

She rose an eyebrow, lifting her eyes from her book.

"It's for an assignment."

"We have one that we usually give to new teachers, it should be fine if I give it to you." she said as she got up from her spinning chair. "I'll be right back."

 I watched as she walked to the back of the library, opening a door I didn't even know existed.

As it closed behind her, I saw the sign, 'staff only' on the door.

I smirked lightly. 

Seems like I've found my sweet treasure.

I paid attentive attention to the door, observing the surroundings and how easy it'll be to slip inside, though ill have to crack the password to the door which it no doubt has. 

Probably a biometric or a coded password system.

She returned after a few minutes with a book covered in dust.

She blew on it before giving it to me. "Here ya go."

"Thank you." I took it from her along with the two books I grabbed of the shelf earlier and checked them out.

I left the library and headed straight to my dorm room, setting my books down on the desk and looking at the notice board on the wall, just near my desk which was covered in letters and little notes I made.

I grinned and flipped it around to the plain side.

I opened my clue book and checked the time.

3:45

Turning back to the board, I put my hands to my hips and began jutting down points on some sticky notes before pinning them onto the board.

30 minutes later and the board was full of information. It looked just the way those detectives' do on TV.

I looked to the book Linda gave me which sat on my desk, untouched since I brought it here.

Grabbing it off my clustered desk, I sat cross-legged on my bed and opened it to the first page.

'The history of Aldmoor...

Originally founded in 1894 by Dr. Julius Aldmoor and four other men, Dr. Larry Davidson, Dr. Julio De-Marcus, Dr. Daniel Landbert and Dr. Frank Hendrikson.'

Could they be the men in the photo from Ginny's diary?

I immediately searched for the small photo card, rummaging through a drawer on my desk.

I placed the photo near the book as I tried to connect names with faces which proved to be useless as I didn't even know of any of them before this.

My lip was caught in-between my teeth as my brain racked with thoughts.

Sighing, I changed into some sweats and a t-shirt before grabbing my phone and walking to the library.

The school had a secure internet network, not available to the students however, but the teachers and the computers in the library.

I sat behind a computer in the far back of the library and quickly typed in the information I wanted.

'Aldmoor collage founders'

Nothing.

'Founding fathers of Aldmoor's Prestigious Collage'

I groaned as the search once again turned up empty, leaning forward and resting my head on my hands as I stared at the computer screen defeated.

My hands found their way to my mouth as I stared at the screen, my teeth clenching around my nails as I subconsciously started biting them.

I sighed and cleared the search.

What was his name again? James..Jupert? Julio.

Julio Aldmoor.

I typed the name into the search bar, fingers moving rapidly across the keyboard as I stared at the screen.

All that showed were articles and photos of the school itself, each one like a complete replica of the last.

Until one unassuming article popped up, it's text less bold and colorful than the others, like it wanted to be hidden among the mass of the many dauntless text.

I clicked on it and stared at the pieces of information on the screen until I saw it.

The exact photo from Ginny's diary this time in softcopy, with the names assorted with faces.

Bingo!

I grinned as I stared at it in triumph.

I looked around quickly before snapping a quick picture of it and closing the tab, deleting it off the search and internet history.

I shut off the laptop and walked away naturally, as if I weren't quite literally doing something that would be considered 'illegal' to Aldmoor's.

"How's that assignment coming along Nyx?" I heard a voice speak to me as I stood to the library doors.

I turned to face Linda who sat behind the counter, her fingers resting on her computer keyboard as she stared at me from above her glasses.

"It's going good Linda, it's going really good." I grinned before leaving the library and heading back to my dorm room.

With names now paired to faces, the investigation was going a bit smoother.

I pinned the picture onto the board alongside the bits of information about the school.

I stared at the it with crossed arms. 

It barely had any information, only the general description of the killer that I saw that night and the information I found today, along with some other facts.

It's not the best, but...It's something.

I sighed as I looked away from the board, my eyes now resting on my desk as I chewed on my lip.

Ginny's diary stared at me from on my desk, reminding me of her tragic fate, of the way she begged me to help her, of how she took her last breath in my arms.

I gripped the pen in my hand tightly, my jaw clenching in anger as I thought about the twisted situation.

I gave a singular nod with determination as I picked up the diary and took the memory card from inside it.

Ginny may have died, but her research still lives, though they may be bestrewed, I will find all the parts and solve this mysterious puzzle and avenge everyone that died.

For now, I'm only sorting the pieces.

...