Six: life

Mrs. Modyheart and Mr. Coryn tells me I should get a look at the life on Rockuo. They said they need it for research. I thought the forest was beautiful, and I would stare at it all day if I had the chance. But I cared more about the Kay'aya, especially when they're all over me. I've already tried giving the most research I could, there's so much I want to learn, I just really don't know where to start.

I head downstairs for breakfast. I noticed everybody glaring at me as I come into the cafeteria. It's loud but I try to ignore the noise. I grab my tray and sit in the corner of the cafeteria. I don't wanna sit near anybody. The meals here aren't horrible, but I'd rather have that soup Sighia had given me. I can't wait to return. I continue eating my meal until I look up to see Steph in front of me. I still chew on my food quietly as I stare. Today, she's wearing a green dark jacket and a white shirt underneath the jacket. She's also wearing jeans.

"Can we talk?" she said quietly. I looked back down at my food. "Sure." she smiles and sits next to me. "I want to talk about Mol." I look at her. "Molly?" she nodded without looking at me. "Why? She didn't tell you she left?" I asked as I looked back down at my tray as I took a bite into a red juicy apple. "No? I thought she was angry at me so I didn't talk to her, I mean, I was angry that she lied to me, but I didn't even wanna be more angry looking at her." Steph admitted. "Yeah, I guess I would feel the same way." I agree before setting the apple down.

"Where are you heading after breakfast?" Steph asked looking at my tray. "I don't know. I'm supposed to be heading back to the planet any minute now, but I really just want to finish my food as quick as I can." I quietly say so nobody else can hear our conversation. "Well.. what's that place like anyway? Are the aliens freaky like we imagined? Are there different aliens?" I laugh quietly looking at her, putting my tray aside. "I suppose there might be different regions across the planet, but all I've seen is the forest. It's pretty beautiful. Just scary in the  night." I explain.

I stand up from the floor and me and Steph walk to the trashcan together to throw away our trays. She looks at me and I look at her confused. "I would love to be your friend, Savanna." she smiled. I smiled back no longer confused. She walks out of the cafeteria and I watch. I knew she had a good side somewhere deep inside of that heart.

———————————————————————

It became afternoon fast. The day was shortening but the day on Rockuo was just beginning. I was chilling with Condo and Mr. Coryn beside one of the newest machines, the newest model. It was taller and stood on the wall better than the ones we were just using now, it had good protection just like the model, but they thought it wasn't standing properly for some reason. The wires are more connected for a better connection to the Kay'aya which made it feel a lot safer. I heard they fixed the side effects going away quicker once on the planet. Couldn't wait to test that out.

"Savanna, want to give it a whirl?" Mrs. Modyheart tilted her head, smirking. I nodded as I looked at her before standing up. "Would dream of it." I say, waiting beside her. The doors open up and I take a good look. The old model was gray, this one was plain white with gray lines going along it. In the middle of the gray lines, it said the name of the lab. I stepped inside. It was a nice teal blue for the comfortable fabric to keep you comfortable while you wait for your journey to start. I close my eyes quickly as I let out a deep breath. The side effects kicking in. "Starting now." Mrs. Modyheart spoke and that was the last thing I heard before I entered my body.

I opened my eyes to find myself back in Kazza, home of the Kay'aya. I searched around, looking in all directions to notice nobody was really awake. This would be a good time to explore, but my mind was focused on Kai. I go up the ladder to the homes for the people, looking in each one since they don't have doors. I see peacefully sleeping Kay'aya children and adults. I smile softly as I pass.

I make it to the heart of the Kazza, there's a big circle in the middle, like a lounge with a fire in the middle of the entire bridge. Unlike the rest of the fires, this one is with the home, which can be dangerous. I assumed it's used rituals or connecting with the spirits since the fire is blue. At least last night it was, it's all burnt out. Someone must've poured water on the fire.

I climb back down the ladder sighing, a bit disappointed not finding who I was wishing too. My ears perk up and my eyes widen when I notice someone walking towards me behind me. It's Kai. I smile as I wait for him to walk more towards me. He stops in front of me, leaving a big open gap between us. "Looking for someone?" he asked jokingly. "I was looking for you. I couldn't find you anywhere in the homes." I admit. "Leader's homes are usually on the ground. Just in case of an attack, it will be easier for the people to stay safe on top of the trees." he explained pointing at the homes. I look up at the homes and back at him a few seconds later. "That's smart. Also, why aren't you leader? I think you would be a great leader for the Kay'aya." I ask.

"I haven't found my chosen one yet, but if I don't find her soon, I have to be leader all by myself. If a leader dies it would usually go onto its child, if old enough. But if not, they usually pick someone random that seems more powerful than the child. But I know I'm strong enough to become leader. And I know my parents will always be there for me once I do find my chosen one." he begin walking.

"I see." I quietly say. I follow him. "So, is there any other.. clans in the forest or somewhere else perhaps?" I asked. "The closest clan to the forest is the swamp clan, Ozzy'mya. In other terms, the swamp people." he explained. "They have scales for protection, and bigger eyes to help them see in the dirty water." he said looking at me as I came next to him. "Or the deepwater clan, which is below us. We've met them before when they needed help when their clan flooded. My father is very good friends with the both of them. I'm very good friends with their daughter and son." he chuckled. Daughter. Why was I so jealous? I didn't even know who the deepwaters daughter is and I feel like I'm left out.

"What's.. what's their names?" I asked as I looked at him. But he didn't look at me as he just looked where he was going. "The leader's name is Xaoen, and his mate is Zadiyo." he said. I couldn't pronounce either of those words. "The daughters?" I asked with a shaky voice. "Naya, she's younger than me though, and her older brother is Leora." I let out a gasp of relief. "What's wrong? Are you out of breath?" I looked at him embarrassed, luckily, blush couldn't be shown on the Kay'aya because how red they were. I shook my head, and we continued walking without making eye contact.

We made it into the forest and I looked around taking notes in my head. The plants were pink and green, which made a gorgeous color. The water was blue and shiny, it reflected great, and I could see the bottom of it. The animals in the daytime weren't hostile and didn't even go towards us as we walked. Nothing here was dangerous. I looked at Kai. "Has any attacks ever happened in the daytime?" I asked. He looked at me confused. "Not in a while. If you're talking about the creatures, some of them in the night can be dangerous, but never in the morning would they hurt us." he smiled looking at me. I could look at his smile and his face any day without being bored.

"The jungle is the safest clan." he says. "All clans have their own ability for safety, but I think ours is the most safest of the island." he admits. "So, about the deepwater clan, how different are they from us?" I asked, I was starting to get really interested in these clans. "Well, they are somewhat red, they're kind of darker. They are the Colo'mo clan. They have bigger lungs to avoid losing air, they can go as deep as an Tomo can go." he said. I was amazed, I didn't know what an Tomo was but I assumed it was a big creature that went deep inside of the ocean.

We continue walking, still taking in the forest. We return back to the clan to notice everybody was awake now. I can finally return back to the lab.