Ten: losing

I am losing trust in everybody inside of the lab. I can't trust anybody knowing that they could kill anyone behind my back that I truly trust myself. Yet, Camillia still stays in my dorm. We keep our distance from each other and we haven't been talking since.

A week has passed and the funeral of Kai's parents still has to be decided. I tried helping him, but he says he doesn't want help at the moment. I can tell he really wants to think about this, so I've been leaving him to do his own thing lately. Steph also tried helping. And I'm hoping I can try to get back in contact with Panti as soon as I calm myself down knowing the death of the leaders. I know it must be heartbreaking for Kai, and he hasn't been wanting to see anybody. Not even his closest relatives.

Me and Steph immediately went to go find Panti after leaving Kazza. "I haven't seen her all day, neither anywhere in the week. I tried visiting her, but only Somocahi was there." she said while moving some bushes so we can get to Panti's home. "She lives out of the Kay'aya?" I asked as Steph turned around. She shrugged and continued moving. "She says she rather be with the wildlife, it's how she found Somocahi. After finding him, I think that's the reason she came all the way out here. To be closer with the spirits." she explained as we continued walking.

"That thing is creepy, I'm really not sure how she befriended that thing." I admit. "Me either. She found him when he was just a kit, the mother died after she gave birth to him and his siblings. She felt bad and took him in, and his other siblings, but they died shortly after. Zarame's got to them." she said.

We finally made it to her home. Just like the rest of the people in the Kay'aya clan, they have homes in the trees. So does she. We climbed up the ladder and only saw Somocahi laying beside Panti's bed, which was made out of leaves. I looked at him confused. He raised his head up and his ears to look at me and Steph. But he didn't do anything. He rested his head on his paws, not caring that we so casually just came into his owners home. "Well, she didn't just disappear. Does she like to go anywhere?" I asked searching around her home.

"No, if anything, she wouldn't want to leave Somocahi. She brings him everywhere. There's no way she would just leave him here alone," she said she looked around. "Somewhere even with Somocahi?" I asked. She thought for a moment. "Her and Somocahi do like going to the lake often. She might be there, but I don't see why she wouldn't bring him and be there all week." she said. I went out, and slowly went down the ladder of the entrance of the treehouse, something similar, I would assume.

Steph followed behind me, a lot of things happened in my mind, as we walked further into the jungle. Did she drown? Did something attack her, such as a cocoon or Zarame's? Other clans on the island? That would be impossible, though. Knowing her, she would probably be fine. Especially since she can defend herself. She defended the leaders, so I don't see her dying anytime soon by some clan. There's only two other clans in the entire island, including the Kay'aya.

We make our way to the lake, nothing that entertaining. It's just a huge lake and little space to fish. I look around as Steph comes from behind me. "She's not here either." she says, turning her head towards me. I look at her too. "Yeah, I'm assuming she could be anywhere," I admit. "Hey, Steph, does Mrs. Modyheart know you're hanging out with the rest of the Kay'aya? Or did you just kind of befriend them on your own just like Panti?" I asked. She sighed, looking out into the water.

"Panti kind of lived on her own, I've never seen her around the camp. I've never seen her with any family members either. I've always assumed her brothers and sisters and her parents died before she was born or when she was young, and explains why she moved. But she said that her mate died at that exact spot, where she lives. His name was Notami. He was killed by Rauou." she explained. Rauou were creatures that were most known to tear apart their prey in seconds before you can kill it. The Kay'aya find them pretty challenging, most hardest to kill.

"Fascinating." I whisper as I continue looking at her, even though she wasn't even bothering to look at me. "Let's keep moving, I don't think Panti would appreciate us talking about her personal life." she said before walking on the sand, I felt my toes go in between it. If only my real body could experience this from earth. I smiled as I looked between them.

"So, is it just this clan and the others on the island?" I asked as we continue with our walk. "There is multiple islands. Every island has three clans. We are the forest. Every clan shares the forest. But we don't share each other's homes and people. That stays with that clan and we stay with our people, the Kay'aya. In other words, we are the forest people since everybody on the island uses the forest. On separate islands, from what I know, there's a island close to us which is the lava exhibit. We wouldn't survive there in our living condition. We enjoy normal temperature for the island, they have the hottest temperature known for the planet." she explained before speaking once more.

"The lava exhibit includes the main clan, which is the Tawei clan. The fire clan, the Mokawi clan. And lastly, the magma clan, the Cowaii." she said. "How do you know all of this?" I asked quietly. "I know everything." she says without looking at me, and I look away from her.
———————————————————————
As we dive deeper into the forest, I noticed it's getting darker and I can't see any better looking into the distance as we continue walking through the jungle. My ears flatten as I begin to grow hungry, but we have to be on the lookout for Panti. We don't know if she's lost or her she's just on her own. But we know we were close, at least I did, but Steph was losing hope I stop for a moment to take a breath as I watch Steph turn around and look at me confused. "Savanna?" she asked. "Go on without me, I'll catch up later." I say, before sitting down on the ground.

"No, I thought we were a team." she slowly started walking over to me as she sat down beside me. "Not anymore. I'm getting tired and I don't even know where we are right now. Maybe Panti knows the leaders are dead, and she doesn't want to be around the clan anymore." I assume. "Panti wouldn't let anyone die like that and just leave them by their self. It's her duty to find out everything and to protect the clan with her heart, she wouldn't leave without any note." she explained. "Kay'aya don't leave notes. Open your eyes, Steph! We're in the middle of nowhere and we can't find her! It's obvious that she left without a trace because she knew what she was going to get bullied or harassed by the others," I stood up waving my hands in the air.

Steph remains on the ground as she looks at me with disappointment in her eyes. "Really? You know nothing about them, they aren't just aliens they care for each other. Just like human beings." she said. "They are just aliens. They don't know what they're doing and they have no idea how to care for each other. They don't even know who they are themselves." I say quietly. "But Kai cared for you, cared enough to bring you and Molly to safety. I was there. They have a life of their own and a clan. They know what they are doing." she says quietly as she slowly stands.

It's quiet for a moment until Steph continues talking. "I have been to all of the clans on this island. None of them would leave anybody behind. No matter who they are. They care for everybody, they might not trust you at first, but that's because they didn't know who you really were. You might've lied, but they still trusted you. Kai still trusts you and you shouldn't have to worry about such little things. We will find Panti, and you'll still be loved on the island. And other clans will support you any way." she put her hand on my shoulder.

"Not when they find out the real truth." I say quietly. She chuckled and withdrew her hand back. I watched as it began to grow silent. "They will still support you, it seems like your boyfriend did anyway," she spoke as she sat down on the ground. "Hey! Kai isn't my boyfriend I was just joking about leaving. I'm only here for money. I'm not here for anything else. Love isn't real." I say, as I sat down beside her. As it began to grow even quieter, this made me think about future again.

Two girls. One boy.