Seven: Mohai

"Welcome back, soldier." Mrs. Modyheart greeted me with her raspy voice. I step out of the machine as its doors close behind me. The pod making squeaky noises. "Hi, ma'am." I say respectfully with a gentle smile on my face. I noticed there's a woman standing at the entrance of the doors, looking at the pods. I look at her with a gentle smile as I come close. "Hey, I'm Savanna. Are you lost?" I asked, putting my eyes up and down as I studied her appearance.

"Huh? Oh! I think so, they said I was supposed to come here." she said, she must've been dozing off because she looked surprised and shocked. She sounded like Molly with her high pitch voice. It was a bit higher than hers, but she didn't remind me any way of Molly. "Ah, that's Camillia, she'll be your new assistant in a way." Mrs. Modyheart said looking at me, then back at Camillia. I smiled slightly. "Well, it's nice to meet you, Camillia." I extended my hand, she looked at it before shaking it gently without really making eye contact.

I let go of it a few seconds later, but I didn't say anything because I was waiting for her to say something. Silence goes by the both of us. Mrs. Modyheart stares at us, waiting for something to happen. "Well, now that you both know who each other are, you can go on your way." she nodded. Then she left. I looked back at Camillia. Smiling and then I left the pods, leaving her to stay there, looking at me as I continued down the hall. It gave me the creeps, and I could feel her attention just staring at me as I walked to my dorm.

———————————————————————

It was night on Rockuo. I looked around as I went up the ladder where I saw the blue fire in the center of the Kazza. Everyone was dancing around it, singing cultural songs, and most just talking as they ate Iluie and Maccaw, meat. I searched around in confusion, noticing they were starting to get up and dance as a group. I watched standing beside one of the houses in the darkness. I had no idea what they were doing, but I knew this had to be some cultural thing because the blue fire was lit.

Kai came up to me and grabbed my hand before storming into the group. "Uh, what exactly is this dance?" I asked, as I turned beside me to be surrounded by Kay'aya. "Tonight is the night of Mohai. He is who found this land, he was the first spirit of the island." he explained. He put his hands up and mine too, I watched looking up, but he still has his eyes directly at me. Everything seemed to fade away as we danced, I followed his lead, and it seemed like he was following mine. I could even hear the music fading away as I danced with him.

His fingers traveled into mine, he smiled greatly. My ears flatten, but soon came back up to normal position once I kept on looking at his face. I smiled back slowly. With one final yelp of the Kay'aya, the music stopped. I let go of Kai's fingers. I stepped away and looked down at the ground at my feet. I could hear the cheering and laughing of them. I smiled sweetly as I looked at all of them, but still embarrassed. Kai didn't look away. "You are a good dancer." he spoke. I chuckled.

"I don't always dance, thank you, though. Seems like I need practice." I speak looking into his eyes. "I'll teach you." he said quietly and slowly. I barely blinked. I nodded, clearing my throat.

——————————————————————-

As we walk in the forest together, I can feel a sense of trust in the gap between us. Something we haven't explored. I look at him and he looks at me as we stop. "Why were you with those other humans?" he asked, narrowing his eyes towards me. I looked at him as I chuckled nervously. "W-what?" I asked, pretending to be confused in a way. I shook my head. "I-I.. I don't know what you're talking about. I wasn't with any humans." I say. "You were wearing their clothing, I knew you looked suspicious. You didn't speak Kay'aya, you only spoke human language. I'm the only one that's best at that language, besides my parents and my uncle." he explained.