Fourteen: betrayal

Me and Kai ran out of Kay'aya, he stopped and grabbed onto my shoulder before I could run any faster out of the clan.

"Savanna, bow." he spoke as he handed me a bow that wasn't going to do any work to destroy these humans. "What? That won't work. We have to get everybody out of here before they start destroying the place." I explain, letting him have the boat back to himself.

"But Mohai had made this place for all of us. Let us not let it go to waste, it's best if we protect our home just like he would've wanted." he explained. "I- Kai, little bows aren't going to help with such a large army. This isn't normal hunting like you would've done, this is real life. We need to protect the people and get them to safety." I explain, pointing out of Kazza. "Trust. I am skilled at fighting, and so are the people. I will not let our home die on my hands, or even yours." he slowly put his hands in mine to explain.

I nod slowly after a little while. I took the boat softly out of his hands after he explained. The Kay'aya really do care about their home, and more of their people than humans would've if there was an apocalypse, so they really aren't just aliens.

He encouraged me to move on once we ran into Kazza, together, holding hands. I let go of his and began shooting with the arrows he had given me. Everybody else joined in, I was surprised at how many Kay'aya joined in to help fight. After a little while we heard roaring in the distance and everybody looked into the forest.

Panti and Somocahi.

Panti was riding on top of Somocahi with her bow, she had a couple of marks on her cheek, but that didn't stop her from killing at least two humans all at once.

I nodded and smiled as I returned back to fighting, this is our home, and we will not let it go to waste. "Kill the animal." I heard Mrs. Modyheart speak to a man with a gun. But just in an moment I heard Somocahi fall to the ground with a screech and short roar. "Somocahi!" I yelped before running over, not caring about anything right now except hoping they were both safe. "No," I heard Panti whisper under her breath as she checked where he was shot. Right in the neck. "It's okay, it's okay," she told him as he looked in all directions. I didn't know what to do except hold him as best as I could to keep him from the ground even though his entire body was on the ground. I kept his head up and make sure his eyes didn't leave mine.

He whined like a cat when you step on their tail. I felt horrible. All I could think about was trying to stop that bullet, Kai says it's a normal thing in life, on the island and everywhere. But I just feel so bad, like whenever I see something die I feel like it's my fault. When I haven't done anything wrong. I continue holding his head up to show him i'm still here and so is Panti. We are all here. Everyone he needs is here. But that isn't enough.

When an animal dies, there's nothing you can do to redo that. It's just life.

I slowly let go of his head, carefully placing it on the ground as Panti is still trying to stop the blood even though there's no point anymore if he's not even hurt. I watch his eyes close and knowing he's gone. Panti cries softly into his neck not where it bled. "Panti, Panti, listen, you have to stay strong. Even though Somocahi isn't with us anymore, you can still fight without him." I say quietly. "No! I can't do it without him. I've had him my entire life and now he's just.. gone forever," she speaks in her broken English like always.

"I understand that. But you need to stay strong. For the people just like leaders would've wanted." I say, helping her up on her feet. She slowly looked up at me as she's still crying, but not as bad as she was before. I gave her bow to her and she took it. Without looking at Somocahi's body, and one shot she killed a human that was trying to shoot at her, she didn't even look at them.

The battle goes on between the humans and the Kay'aya. They're winning, but we still won't go down. After this, I will officially become Kay'aya, and become Kai's chosen officially forever. That's what kept me on in the battle, without thinking about who is dead and who's wounded. Our healers can take care of that while we continue the battle. That's what's on my mind at the moment. I noticed from a distance that Kai was running out of arrows and fighting five other humans in the distance.

He started running away because he didn't wanna waste any more arrows on the five other humans that continued chasing him with better weapons. I followed behind him, creeping up a hill while he ran towards the river where I caught that big fish with Nari and Gayet.

Getting my bow ready, I shot two of them and started putting my next arrow back in my bow. That gave enough time to distract the humans and for Kai to shoot the other one, while I shot the one that tried shooting me with his gun, which failed horribly. I jumped off of the hill and smiled as he did the same. "Are you hurt?" I asked as soon as I could. "No, not at all. Thank you for saving me, Savanna." he chuckled softly. I did the same, knowing he was safe and that he wasn't wounded in any way.

———————————————————————

I killed as many humans as I could once we returned back. Once all was killed, at least some while most hurried back to the shelter, we took a break, making sure everybody was safe and nobody had gotten shot.

I walked over to Kai, handing him back his bow. "You can have your bow back." I held out the bow he had given me before the battle had begun. "No, keep it. You deserve it. For caring so much about the people and the island. You have saved all of the clans and the islands around. You are a warrior, Savanna." he told me. "I'm no warrior. You saved the island yourself, if it weren't for you to tell me that the people needed help, I would've been gone already. You have showed respect to your own people. You will be a great leader, Kai." I told him.

"You will be a great mate, Savanna," he told me. I chuckled, my ears flattening, but I still smiled, not even caring to the point where this was not an ordinary crush, once an Kay'aya chooses his chosen, there's no going back.

———————————————————————

I stood in the cafeteria walking around the tables, looking at all the ones where I used to see scientists or other people that worked at the lab. Like Mrs. Modyheart and Molly, also Steph. This will be the last time I ever return back to the lab. To my dorm, this entire place is no longer my home. I had already given my stuff away. I didn't need it anymore because I was no longer going to be here anymore.

I heard footsteps coming into the cafeteria. I turned behind me to notice it was just Steph just smiling. "Are you coming too?" I asked. "No, I'm going to a different lab, I have other duties to do here. It was just temporary." she explained as she stopped walking. She stopped in front of me. "Really? Will you ever come to visit me back at Rockuo?" I tilt my head in question.

"Savanna, you are strong. Now you will be the leader of the Kay'aya, and the chosen of your crush! I mean who wouldn't want that? You're the leaders wife of the entire island. Everybody there is going to respect you and other islands if you ever explore those. You can do this, without my help." she chuckled happily. I almost cried because I was sad to hear that she was going to be moving and she was never going to visit me. I was never going to see Steph ever again.

I hugged her fastly after a few seconds. She hugged me back. "Thank you, Steph." I began to cry on her shoulder. "Stay safe." she told me. I wish I could keep this hug forever.

But I needed to go back.