Chapter One

From a young age many children are certain on one's future profession that they may pursue. Whether that may be, an astronaut, a police officer, or many other things whatever your heart desired. I remember the soft-spoken words from an elderly woman. The way she crouched down to my level, grinning widely, a smile plastering on her wrinkled face.

       "What would you like to be when you grow up, dear?" Her words caught me quite off guard. One of the many questions someone asks multiple times to ensure one's future. Or – to see how creative one's child might be. In this case, I wasn't as creative as the others.

         A painted expression on my face hadn't bothered the last. But the response I was about to give this poor older woman. Sure, would have, I shifted my body weight onto my other leg. Standing up on my tippy toes. Pointing to a large billboard.

       "Whatever he wants me to be". My words stunning the lady a gasp following soon after. A cold-blooded murderer, a man I once knew –  rather well. It was safer to say that my answer wasn't exactly what an older woman like her would expect. Especially from a seven-year-old. Who had no rhyme nor reason to know how truly terrible her father was.

       Someone's fate being decided based on who their parents were at the time? Very idiotic, but how could have I known better? Before any of us knew it, the same man pulled me away from the older woman. Being scolded for conversing with "strangers".

      Even now, at the ripe age of twenty-five. My answer still remains the same. My eyes staring at the freshly painted cream walls. Zoning back into reality, listening to the sheer silence consume the entirety of the room. One leg resting over the other. My dress draped over my knees.

      My hands folded politely over them, while waiting for Mr. Esposito to arrive. The dark oak doors opened with a large thud. The doors practically cried out from being so old. Someone needed to fix them up desperately before they had given out.

    I turned around staring at the three men who decided to grace themselves in my presence. James, Mr. Esposito and – someone? Within the first moment I had, this someone was my priority. His features are very broad and overbearing. He was handsome without a doubt, that goes without saying a guy looking very much like him. I knew deep down he meant trouble.

     He was taller than both men, only slightly. But, just enough to pass over either of them. The emerald eyes he owned never once met mine. It didn't take a lot to realize how annoyed he – was becoming.

    Ignoring how ignorant the other was. I stood up fixing my dress, engulfing Mr. Esposito in a comforting embrace. Watching how quickly he ditched his own cane to hug me. "It's nice to see you alive and well sir". I spoke, hearing the familiar chuckle I've yearned to hear since his accident.

    My comment sparked a slight smile on his face. Our embrace breaking, his hand resting back on his cane. "I couldn't leave you kiddo not even for a single second".

    A smile is now forming on my own face. "It would be pretty upsetting if you did sir" he shakes his head momentarily at my words. Before clearing his throat moving out of the way. Revealing the under half of the mystery man. "I'd like you to meet my son Marco", he introduces me to the man.

         Immediately my hand swings outwards. A large smile embracing itself. His face became recognizable from the photos hanging up around – Mr. Esposito's office. Marco's green eyes flash to meet mine. Instead of a broad inviting look. Marco shunned me with a cold and brooding gaze.

      If looks could kill, I was rather sure that I would be six feet under if that were the case. He hadn't bothered to even extend his hand to shake it. Practically ignoring the underlying fact that my hand was even extended in his general direction.