Chapter Six

Coming from a very prestigious family. You had a reputation to uphold. If you didn't then it almost became as if you disappeared off the public's radar. Disgraces, low lives weren't allowed. To say the least, having a father who made his gang look like angels compared to other gangs took tons of work.

My father hid behind a mask of being a so-called "lawyer" with his entire firm. He employed many of his goons, as his "attorney's" He knew how to hide himself and tons of others in plain sight.

Truthfully, that is ten times scarier than people thought. The cops were especially generous to him. Easy to tell really, especially the amount of absurd court cases he would win. My father was no saint. No one who knew what he did and still does is. Lawyer by day, by night he became an abusive heavy drug addict.

Who loved beating the shit out of his ten year old daughter. He is a very horrible man and I am more than thankful to have escaped. But, at this very moment I wanted nothing more than to go back to my sick twisted father.

The gun rang off with a loud blood curdling scream filling the room. My body slumping to the floor watching my own blood pool around me. Loud footsteps followed the door swinging open, Adrian standing in the doorway. "Sir, what happened?!" He paused looking at my almost lifeless body.

I watched his eyes widen like saucers. Adrian looked at me squeezing my hand over the gunshot wound. "Get the fuck out", Marco orders staring at Adrian. Aimlessly waving his gun around like he hadn't a care in the world for his safety.

"Sir – " Adrian couldn't manage to even get another word in. "I said get out, don't make me repeat myself again". His condescending actions made me want to punch him. "Okay", Adrian says, letting himself retreat into the hallway, shutting the door behind him.

The surroundings around me are beginning to lose all sense of my consciousness. My – breathing patterns staggered and rough. The blood oozed everywhere. I couldn't bear this much longer. Fighting and treading on shallow waters.

Stay awake Mariana, you don't know what he'll do to you if you pass out. Stay awake. "Did you learn your lesson Aleah?" He asks, kneeling down to my level. Staring directly at me, I looked away, staring at my gun that was inches from my reach. My eyes looked back up at him.

"Yes, Sir" I hoarsely spoke. I held my wound tighter, huffing out a shattered breath. "Fuck", I whimper tilting my head back trying to suppress any anger or emotions that may arise.

"Let me tell you something Aleah, I don't think you've learned much". He blurted out, my silence towards him spoke enough. Better than what I could have ever said. Marco went way too far with this, and he knew that.

But, luckily for him he didn't give a shit. Marco stood up dusting off his suit. "If I ever hear you talking to me like that again. Next time I'll fucking kill you". He spat out before leaving the room.

My heart races, my breaths becoming shallow. I didn't find the reason for fighting any longer. Then, I laid on the floor: watching everything around me go dark.

"Why do you hate me?" I asked, staring at my father. "I don't hate you", he responds, his eyes looking into mine. "Why do you make me do those things?" I question noticing for the first time in a while my father hadn't taken anything that morning. Completely sober.

"One day, I won't be here. I have to teach you," He explains, I look down at the bassinet with Mateo in it. "When can I stop? I have to be a good older sister for Mateo". I watched his hands fumble with his wedding ring.

"You can't stop, Mateo needs to know what he is getting himself into". A battered expression made me frown. "Dad?" I ask, he looks up. "Mariana?" , tears hitting the corners of my eyes. "What if I'm not good enough?" My lip quivers, tears falling.