Chapter Five

At a certain time in our "exciting" lives. Parents, or guardians teach their children to swim. Regularly take us to the beach or pool. My first introduction to swimming was being thrown into a pool as my father watched me struggle.

I couldn't swim, and the holders I had. No one taught me how to flap my arms or legs. My fear of water is only progressing. Manipulation became easy, especially when everyone knew my biggest fear.

Dunking my head under the treacherous waters. Watching the bubbles fade until I lose sense of consciousness. No one cared, and any child my age learned that quite quickly.

When the pair of arms reached out to grab me. Hope wasn't as lost, hefty adrenaline pumping and coursing throughout. The surface engulfed me, filling my lungs with air. I coughed harshly gripping onto the ledge.

"Why didn't you swim up?!" Marco screams from behind me. I turned to look at his drenched body. God, if he didn't have the attitude of an old Nonna in a nursing home. Some part of me would consider that hot.

Tears embedding themselves in the corners of my eyes. Slowly fell down my cheeks. I ignored his sudden outburst. Trying to get out of the pool without slipping. James looked at me with an angered expression. I gave him a reassuring smile.

"Don't you dare fucking take another step away from me Aleah!" His words continued within his own little toddler tantrum. I stopped dead in my tracks turning around. "Watch me", I mouth not bothering to break the invisible barrier.

"Sir, I'll be taking Aleah home now". James interjects trying to scurry me off to his car. "Bring her into the basement, I want not another word from her". Marco says I stop once more whipping around. I felt like I had kicked the invisible barrier I hadn't tried to break before.

Like glass shattered anger festering in me. "Tu mi fai questo e io devo soffrire perché le tue emozioni non possono essere controllate. Vaffanculo!" The Italian words rolling off my tongue. I hastily broke the barrier, shocked that I had capability to do that.

I watched his battered expression change. James is now giving me massive warning looks. Defying the person that bathes, cleans, and feeds you is counted as a sin. That surely wasn't written in the bible but in the ways of the Mafia world it was.

"Che cazzo mi hai appena detto?!" His words were laced with venom. The more he spoke the scarier I watched him become. I hated that the most.

"Non ho balbettato, vero?" I bluntly spoke, watching the anger billow from his ears. "Get her out of here before I do something I'll regret". Marco climbs out of the pool looking at his drenched body. James places a hand on my back, guiding me back to the car.

"Verdammtes Arschloch" I mumble underneath my breath. I sat in James' car feeling the weight of my clothes drown me.

Quite literally, what felt like hours began to pass. In this forsaken basement, I sat in. The bare concrete walls concealing in cold air. I could see my breath and the cold aroma kept my body from reheating itself. Panic inducing through me.

I rocked back and forth crying into my knees. Searching for any sense of comfort. I would take it within a second. Even if it came from someone I hated. Anything to get out of this room. My body shut down, soft sobs echoing through the room.

Humming an old Italian tale to soothe myself. The familiar walls, reminding me of my father. A loud slam booming through the walls. I react by jumping from the loud noise. Marco's silhouette looked horrifying from a child's waking nightmare.

"Have you come to your senses?" His words are husky and deep. My eyes take in the shadowy figure. Words not daring to break loose. Tears stinging my eyes once more remembering the prick who once did this to me.