Chapter Eight

That little girl in me is crying out for help. Her eyes welled with tears, the way she slammed on the metal door. Screaming for help, hearing her father who leaned against the door chant at her. "Bad things happen to bad girls, Mariana" He taunts, the tears pooling down. Snot, covering the lower portion of my face.

            No, this isn't real. I'll wake up right? Please...let me wake up...please?...

     That same little girl watched from a distance, the horror coursing through my veins. My heart thumping through my chest. Kill me, I'd rather be killed. Someone have a weapon at this banquet please.

     A poke in my side blanked me out of my thoughts. Still staring at my father. "Aleah Franco, nice to meet you". I humor, adding a smile. "You're Italian? There's no way that we haven't seen each other before".

     His accent fluctuated, his hand breaking contact from mine. "I'm sure we must have. I might have been a lot younger though". I respond, taking a dig at him unknowingly. "Dad, Mr. Marino's here". I noticed the taller one spoke.

      Angelo, you sly fox. "I'll greet them in a moment. For now, I'd like to get to know Aleah". He turns back towards me. "You must be from Italy then right?" He questions, those blue eyes haunting me by the second.

     "My family is, I grew up in Germany". Alonzo's eyebrow raised, a surprising expression faltering over his face. "Du sprichst deutsch?" When did my father take the time to learn German?

      "Ich bin in Deutschland aufgewachsen, wie könnte ich kein Deutsch sprechen?" I counter, he scoffs slightly, turning his head away from me. "Touche," for us this became more of a contest. One that no one ever really wants to play.

       "You know, my daughter's middle name is Aleah. Might not be spelt the same way. But, she is a good kid. I imagine you must be a good kid too". A knife blading and twisting through my heart. You still know all the right buttons to press. Don't you Alonzo.

       Angelo eyes me concerningly. "She's really good, shit probably the best on the team Mr. Russo. My father picked a good one". Marco steps in, his arm going around my shoulders. He pulled me in closer.

      Alonzo, perks up that sinister smile appearing. "I always knew Mario had it in him. After all, he has good eyes for things that aren't his". He seethes, still keeping that smile on his face.

      "Ah, Mr. Russo! Spero che tu stia bene!" Saved by the bell, "Mr. Marino, in the flesh, assolutamente sì!" My father took one last look at me.

       "I have to attend to other things. It is very good to meet you Aleah." His tone lowers, I smirk at him. "Nice to meet you too, Mr. Russo". He nods, walking away and taking the younger boy with him.

    Angelo looks at me for a moment. "It's good to see you again. You look happier". My older brother comments. I could feel tears strike my eyes. "It's good to see you too. Old age is hitting you well". I respond, Angelo follows with a chuckle – showing his signature smile.

       "You know each other?" Marco questions, I look up at him. "Yeah, It's been a really long time since I've seen him". I kept it short, my relation to Angelo should be kept private. At least for now.

      "I have to walk away here. So he doesn't get suspicious of us. Good to see you". Angelo says not waiting for another word before he scurried off to our father. That's when I broke. My face turning glum, I started walking back to the table.

    Ayden glanced up with a quick smile once she saw me. Then turning into a frown when she noticed my current state. "What the fuck happened?" She sits up, Marco looks down at me just noticing how I felt.