Chapter Seven

Death, the one thing that others fear. Elders, growing miserable just hearing about their age or the word surrounding death. Old age, cardiac arrest, drowning. Terrible things happen to people who didn't deserve it.

Funerals were family gatherings in this world. Either party celebrating someone's life. Or just to benefit from their money, things like that never became easier. In this case, a life lost made many people happy.

Mothers laughing happily, clapping and sipping their fancy branded wine. Others, holding one another close. Crying into their suit jackets, for me. I watched my father bury his wife. A life lived and deserved. Not worth staying for, she died when I turned seven.

Drugs, and alcohol, invading his entire system. He loved her, at least to some extent. At some point, he'd given his entire cold black heart to her pure and innocent one. By the time they had Angelo, my older brother. He left her to rot. "She is only good for children. Love makes you weak Mariana."

Did it ever really make you weak unless it affected others around you? Loving one person, finally building up her trust, holding up those walls. Showing her everything she's ever wanted. Having the child she's always wanted.

To only find out that if another pregnancy were to happen. Her life would be at risk. Wasn't she already risking her and her son's life for you? That's how he got his hands on me. Risky pregnancy and possible death. I showed up, gluing whatever sick fantasy my father had on life.

In retrospect, father wanted to show his wife everything. If somewhere on this sick twisted Earth. She watched you grow into this grotesque, sick, deranged psycho. Would she be happy?

Oh, right it's not like you had a say because you killed her. You shot your wife dead between the eyes. Listening to her cry for mercy, screaming at you in Spanish. Over one mistake, no more early morning hugs or kisses.

The way she would color with us on the floor. Laughing and teaching us new words in Spanish that week. No, all because she snooped through your office. A lifetime commitment cut short at thirteen years.

Is that really "dad" of the year material papa? Did you enjoy seeing Valentina drop to the floor? Watching her lifeless body collapse into your son's lap. The way Angelo wailed at the top of his lungs. Enough said, you know all too well of the demons you keep hidden so well in your closet...Mr. Hot Shot Lawyer.

And maybe I hoped someday I'd let my own demons play at yours. Payback's a bitch, and karma is given when deserved.

"Blue or yellow?" Ayden holds up the fabric, killing my daunting thoughts. "Green?" I question, a swift roll of her eyes and the shirt thrown into my face said enough. I laughed into the fabric pulling away.

"Sorry Ayds, you know I hate all of this stuff", I sway my arms over the entire pile of clothes. Already laid out for us. Ayden turns around swiftly, "Do you think I'm enjoying this?! I feel so out of place. I just need an outfit for the banquet tonight Mari". My eyes widened, shaking my head.

"Someone could hear you, hush". I say, Ayden throws her hands up in defeat. "Sorry, but, besides the point. I can't wear dresses, what can I even wear?" I shrug staring into the entire closet packed to the brim with fancy dresses.

Ayden Calisa Ivanov, my best friend, my soulmate. In all of the exhausting years I've had to live. This girl has made one hundred percent worth it. Especially having her come all the way to Italy and accompany us to some expensive banquet.

"What are you wearing?" Ayden's short hair bounces as she twirls around. "A dress I assume, something to cover up whatever the fuck this is". I point to my bandaged leg. Ah yes, my leg was looking especially sexy on this particular day.