Chapter Ten

When everyone is born into the world, there are two types of parents you will get. The ones so unbelievably happy crying over their new bundle of joy, while others sobbed over the mistake they had just made. I think most knew what I was. An abandoned child the moment I finally hit the air. The woman holding me announcing I was a girl. My parents full of horror, thankfully the adoption center put me somewhere "safe". That turned into many twists and unfortunate turns.

A moment in time where I could possible go back and change my parents mind with even the smallest smile or a cute face. I'd be even happier, but a secure arm around my waist and a snoring man behind me frightened me. His warm body keeping my body aflame. Panic setting in and I'd rather be anywhere but here.

    I'd been lying awake for the last 6 hours, my eyes boring into the historic books. Reading each spine carefully not like I could've read them too easily. I could make out a single letter from each one and then played a quick game of what words I could spell. That continued until I felt Marco stir awake behind me.

     He groans and buries his head into my back. "Morning", he grumbles his husky deep voice. His arm secures tighter around my waist. "Good morning, sir" I say hearing him hum against my back. "What time is it?" He asks, I look up at a large clock against the wall.

"Half past nine", he groans pushing himself away from me. He sits up, I caught a glimpse of his messy black hair. Marco, looks at me "I shouldn't have made you do this". He speaks the cold demeanor making its way through his voice. I'm only used and then shut out the next moment.

"How else would have you slept that long?" I question, sitting up and finally stretching. "I may have slept but those droopy eyes tell me you haven't slept either". He explains, a hand reaching out for my face. I flinch in response, "I'm okay sir".

Marco looks at me idly, his eyes searching if I was lying or not. "You'll have to leave within the hour, I have a stylist from Paris coming." I nod before getting myself out of bed. The further away from Marco the better. "I'll see you this evening sir", Marco nods I took that as my queue to get out. I leave descending down the steps. My body and mind trying to recollect myself from those last haunting hours.

Even just at the thought, my body trembled. My cheeks growing warmer, the palms of my hands begun shaking. "Aleah!" Someone calls out my eyes focusing towards the sound. "Jesus Christ where is she, Aleah!" Another scream brings me back to reality.

    I pass through the corridor, my eyes making out the bright sun peaking in through the parted back doors. Mr. Esposito's elderly face greets me looking in relief. "I've been looking everywhere for you!" He says before pulling me into a big hug. Almost as if I had been missing for weeks. His arms wrapping almost grasping and gripping around my body.

"I'm fine sir, I was just out did something happen?" I question, Mr. Esposito his hands release me. "An arranged attack happened last night" he looks at me with worry.

"Anything major happen?" I cluelessly ask, knowing everything that had occurred especially the larger gash on Marco's back. "Adrian, was rushed to the hospital. He was shot in the stomach". My heart sank the uneasy feeling pushing through me. "Will he be, okay?".

   The look on his face fell, "I don't know vital organs when they are shot aren't so forgiving." I nod hearing him speak. Mr. Esposito looks down the hallway, "were you speaking to my son?" He asks, ignoring everything he had once said.

"I was called into his room this morning for a chat, that's all". My lies could've costed me my entire career. Or even my own life, he sighs and nods. "That boy is so lazy, he is lucky his mother isn't around to see this shit anymore". Hearing Mr. Esposito talk about his dead wife was unusual. Nor have I ever heard much about her. If anything you'd think he had Marco himself. Everything erased from memory or existence. She could've been an urban legend, there wasn't pictures on the wall.