Chapter Nine

Fear, a common emotion filling one's body. Commonly found in individuals who were neglected or experience childhood trauma. Brutally being challenged to face fears head on is something I had enough experience with. Within my own standpoint, not when someone enters my domain. Mr. Esposito walking through the door, his cane stuck close towards his side. Chatters in Italian began as my eyes found the other individual's walking through the door.

"Aleah, I didn't expect you to be here so early!" Mr. Esposito speaks my eyes narrowing towards the older man. Alonzo standing close a sinister smirk covering his face. "Ayden stayed the night sir, I was just showing her around the manor". I reply, the scarcity and horror coursing through my veins.

"This is Alonzo Russo, a business partner of mine." Alonzo holds out his hand and the same smile haunting my thoughts. "We've met before Mr. Esposito. Yesterday at the ball". I extend my hand letting the cold chills course through me. Shaking hands with the fucking devil, caused my lip to twitch. "You remember Angelo and Arturo, right Miss?" Alonzo spoke my eyes following towards my bigger brother.

His horrified expression, once I let go of his hand. "Of course, sir, it's nice to see all of you again". My voice breaking slightly, Ayden sensing my sudden fear. "Marco and I have a meeting to attend to, Angelo, why don't you keep Ms. Franco company". Arturo glances over his shoulder watching his son nod towards his father. Before beckoning the younger one to follow.

"I need air", I turn away, walking towards the open double doors. The once grey sky filled with colorful hues of orange and pinks. "Leah", Ayden calls out following close behind me. Clutching my chest as I dry heave. "Oh god", I manage to breath out, my eyes catching the waves rise and fall. "Mariana", Angelo breaths out.

My body whipping around towards him. "This isn't supposed to be happening, I'm safe right?" I breath out feeling panic begin to engulf my body into a cold sweat. "Yes, you should be I don't think he knows". Angelo's voice hushed yet trying to reassure me. Tears welling in my eyes as everything around me felt ostracized.

The blurred vision from the tear lines causing me to slump. "I've spent so many years, for this to happen. No" I kept repeating the word no over and over again. Trying to dissociate from reality. "He wouldn't be here for no fucking reason Angelo". I watched my brother look at me his eyes trying to gather what I was thinking.

"He's expanding to Italy; he needs to know which territories to touch. The Esposito's own multiple areas in Italy. Dad needs a pinpoint of where to go". I scoffed turning in his direction. "You know more than anyone in this. Italy is somewhere that he would never expand too. For fucks sake Angelo, I've been on the run from this man for a decade. Italy is the last place he would think to go". My stern tone made him tense up.

"Who even is that little boy? Someone new to actually toy with. He's barely an adult". My questioning tone made Angelo shift in his spot. "I don't know, I'm not able to interact nor work with him until he's under direct care of our father". Angelo's words seemed to be the truth and I stopped bothering to ask another question about the young boy.

Ayden's eyes falling over both of us. "I think it's better to save the emotions. If he finds out what's happening, you won't be saved from it at all." Her words were true, I wiped my teary eyes and sniffled. The horror coursing through me, a slight infliction of doubt in everyone. My fingers feather through my tussled hair. "What can I do?" Angelo softly looks at me, "Thats the thing you don't do anything".

     He pauses before running his hands over his shaven face. The last weeks leading up to the inevitable. Kisses under false pretenses. Drowning half to death, now faced with my own worst fear, my father. "You don't look the same anymore Mariana", Angelo breaks the small silence. "I've been ruined, of course I won't look the same. I'm not eleven anymore". I clear my throat, looking at the stained glass leading back into the large foyer, a face staring at me idly.