Chapter Three

"Look at him Mariana", I hesitated before looking up at the man tied to a chair. His entire face and body were covered entirely in debris and blood. "This is what happens when people disobey me". My eyes practically glued to the man.

     The poor guy shakes in fear, his eyes staring into mine. Scared and wanting to leave. "Papa, what did he do?" Naive younger me asks. Looking at my father, he turns gazing at me. His eyes bloodshot from the drugs he had taken – showing a clear haze.

     "He's a very bad man Mariana, he hurt your dear old papa." My eyes turned into saucers looking at the large scar running along the entirety of his wrinkled cheek. "This man stole from me, hurt me and even threatened to hurt you. You know Papa would never let someone lay a finger on you". His words are laced with lies and forbidden secrets.

     Deep down I knew he was lying. "I'm going to show you what Papa does to get rid of all the bad men". He explains, I watch Idly, scared that if I spoke incorrectly or overstepped. He would have gotten agitated.

    A metal table lined with tools. Hammers, knives, pliers, you name it. My sick twisted excuse for a father is going to use it. Just as long as it had his name on the side of it. "Threatening a seven-year-old. How disgusting". Papa spoke, throwing a swift punch to his face.

     Pulling his head by, punching the poor man over and over again. I flinched sitting on the ground holding my legs closer to my chest. His nose clearly busted, I could see the bone begging to break through his skin. I couldn't bear looking at it any longer.

       I turn my entire body away from him. Not bothering to be exposed to the bullshit my father loved to pull. "Mariana Aleah Russo", his deep voice calling me out of the dark.

  "Look at him".

  His words are low and surrounded by danger. I refused acting as if I didn't hear him'

      "I won't ask again, Mariana, look at him". The nicer tone he now possessed hadn't swayed me. I continued to look away. Humming a melody, ignoring my own father.

  "For fucks sake Mariana!" He grew angrier by the second. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw him storming towards me. My eyes doubled in size out of fear. Papa was scary when he became angry. He kneels down to my level. Grabbing my face, my cheeks squishing together, my lips doing the same.

    He stares at me clearly pissed off. "Fucking look at him", my father turns my head to make me stare at the man. A warm substance dropped down my cheeks. "If your eyes leave his body one more time. It's not going to go well for you. Understand?" He questioned, I felt more tears reach the bottom of my face.

     Nothing...no words escaping my lips. I couldn't say anything, "Do you understand Mariana?!" His tone raising, I flinched feeling his grip grow tighter. Sobs threatening to escape my lips. "I understand", I respond practically choking back on my sobs. He lets go, heading back over to the man.

    Grabbing a sharper knife – pointing it at the man's face. Right where Papa's scar was. "Might as well match, right?" He says pushing the blade further into his cheek. A line forming on his right cheek, watching the blood ooze onto the knife.

     Blood curdling screams erupted through the concrete room. "It's not so nice when others give it to you now is it?" He laughs manically, putting the blade to his lips. Licking the entire blade clean from. My stomach churned, It only got worse from there.

    Cuts, bruises, screams followed in suit after. My eyes broke from his almost lifeless body. Crying and weeping as loud as I can. My head buried into my lap.