20.

Ghost Pov:

After Rose told me Penelope asked for me, my soul felt at ease. It's like, in a way, I felt whole again. Small pieces started coming together in my life.

I felt safe with Rose; she made me feel heard and understood. Her voice always kept me in a trance, giving me warm feelings I had never felt before. Her staying with me for the night meant a lot more than she probably thought, and for once, I slept a whole night with her by my side. Her touch kept me sane.

As I woke a few hours later, I saw she wasn't there. I assumed she went to get freshened up since she was in the previous day's clothes. It was around 9 a.m. I woke, and I decided to freshen up in the bathroom. For an odd reason, I felt like a different person in the best way. I realized that Rose impacted me in a way no one else could. Is she my person?

I finished getting dressed and headed out towards the break room. Reaching the break room, I saw Rose looking troubled but stunning. Even first thing in the morning, she looks breathtaking.

After our interaction, I couldn't help but feel a bit turned on by how she talked to me. She wanted to get to know me more; no one had ever said those words to me, and it completely caught me off guard. She made me happy, and I was already falling for her.
________________

I considered Rose's words and headed toward the med bay to see Penelope. My nerves were all over the place; I didn't know what to say or bring to her. The last thing I wanted to do was talk about the mission we saved her from.

Reaching med bay, I looked for her name on the doors. The next minute, I stood before her door, peering through the window. My breathing became more anxious as I tried working up my courage; she is my sister; what am I afraid of? She was finally off tubes and ventilators, connected to only IVs and a heartbeat monitor.

I finally opened the door and walked over to her bed. She turned toward the door and made contact with me, her eyes looking in surprise but in awe."Simon?" her voice broke lightly; I could see her eyes tearing up. I pulled my mask off; she was the only person who knew how I looked. Her cuts and bruises were healing, but you could still see some of her marks throughout her arms. "You came," she said with a small smile. I sat beside her on the bed, "Of course I did; I missed you, Penelope." My voice was cracking as I tried not to break down, seeing the way she was. I pushed a strand of hair away from her face, feeling the cut on her forehead. That's when a tear shed down my face, and she took notice, wiping it out gently. "Hey, no. I'm okay, Si, don't worry." She reassured me.

"Penelope, I will get whoever did this to you, I promise." She moved her hand away and looked at the window, "Si, I caused it. But we need to move fast before he gets a hold of those missiles." I nodded and put her hand in my hand. "You can't go out in the field again, Penelope; it's too dangerous, you know that." My voice was firm but concerned. I didn't need her hurt again, and it was too soon for her to be out fighting. "I can't just sit here while you guys fight my fight I caused Si. I need to finish the job. I'm going whether you like it or not." She argued back.

She was stubborn, but I would not let her get hurt on my watch; she still needed to recover. "No! And I refuse to let you get hurt again, you hear?" My voice raised as her stubbornness annoyed me. She stood quiet and moved her hand away once again, "könig is here, so... do your best not to kill him." she said vaguely and shortly. As in Colonel König? From KorTac? Fuckin' hell.
_________________

Rose's Pov:

As I arrived at my room, I shut the door fast and planted my head against it as I fell slowly down to the floor. Memories of me and könig flooded my mind, the good and bad days. He was the first person I had ever been serious with, and Kortac was my first base. The day I found out he was messing with another force member, I felt destroyed. It happened on multiple occasions, and I never noticed. Tears continued streaming down my face, my heart feeling heavy like the first time I found out.

*knock, knock, knock*

I sniffled and wiped my face fast, trying to pull myself together. "Yes?" I replied, trying to hide the pain behind my voice and sound normal. "Rose, please open." Hearing Simon's soft voice on the other end, I tried wiping my tears faster. I opened the door, and I saw Simon standing there, looking helpless. "Simon?" I spoke quietly; my eyes felt so numb that I felt the urge to cry more.

He looked concerned yet upset. Could he tell I was crying? Did he find out about me and könig's past?