eighteen; bonding

♥

Milo holds me for a long period of time but I don't mind one bit, if anything I'm a little disappointed when he pulls away. "Let's walk," he says and glances at me with dilated eyes but a soft expression.

At least I know his wolf is going crazy too.

Hugs are incredibly underrated from the right person.

We walk through the trees alone, luckily it's a nice day which contributes to my mood a little. I already feel better being here and I have barely said a word. Milo doesn't rush me with a thousand questions, he gives me time to think first and enjoy the fresh air.

The bond is telling me that.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Milo asks as we stop by a massive boulder.

I press my hand to the rock and feel the coldness beneath my palm. "Yeah," I admit. "I do."

"Then unload," he says as he jumps up onto the ledge of the boulder, holding out his hand for me to join him. I hop up beside him, our thighs pressed together tightly as there isn't much room but we make it work. "I want to listen."

My head nods slowly and I stare down at the leaves that cover the ground below us. For a few moments I collect my thoughts, Milo sits beside me patiently. His presence is already making this easier for me, giving me a chance to breathe without worrying I'm going to hyperventilate.

"The Alpha of our pack," I say quietly. "He's unwell."

Milo nods his head but I don't look at him, my eyes are focused on the ground. I clear my throat gently. "And Leon, the Alpha and my father have always spoken about me becoming the next Beta when it's time."

The warmth of Milo's leg against mine is everything I need right now. "But recently, the guy who is to become the Alpha next, he's moving away with his mate. This morning they informed me that I will become the next Alpha."

Everything turns silent apart from the odd bird tweeting and the rustling of leaves.

I glance at Milo quickly but he's already looking back at me. "You don't want to be Alpha?"

"Hell no," I spit angrily. "I don't even want to be the Beta."

Milo frowns. "Why not? I'm a Beta."

I almost choke on air and then I'm smiling with surprise. "You're a beta?"

I had no idea he was the Beta.

He narrows his eyes towards me but there is a ghost of a smile on his lips. "Is that so hard to believe?" He grumbles under his breath.

"I guess because your pack are so laid back and relaxed, you respect one another, you trust one another. At mine, it's not like that at all. It feels like a dictatorship, we don't get a say and not everyone is equal when we all contribute fairly." I find myself admitting and Milo nods.