twenty-five; i'm here

♥

"Again, Nathaniel!" My father barks as Imogen lunges for me.

I try to attack back but she's already got the upper hand, pinning me to the floor without any hesitation. I don't even try to resist. Footsteps crunch against the forest floor, my father looms over my body.

He takes a fistful of my shirt and yanks me upwards. "What is wrong with you today? Imogen is beating your ass."

My lips release a scoff. "Let me guess, she's a female and shouldn't be able to beat me?"

His eyes flare in my direction. "Don't use that tone with me, boy."

"Let go of me," I shove his iron tight grip from my shirt and I stumble backwards. "I'm having an off day."

"Off day..." he quirks a brow at me. "More like an off week, what has gotten into you?"

Milo. I say to myself. Milo ignoring me and distancing himself has got to me.

I told myself I'd give him a few days, maybe he needs to sort out his own shit and see his therapist, spend time with his family. But the longer time goes on, the more I think he's purposely shutting me out and is refusing to let me in.

Every mindlink ends up dissolving into the air. He's blocking me out, that wall is so high and so strong that nothing could slip past it. He must be in a really bad state and it doesn't sit well with me.

That's all I can think about. That's why I've been so distracted because I can't help but be worried about him, about his state. He crumbled after what happened at the park, after he brought up that I once called his hands disgusting.

Guilt forms in my throat, it hasn't budged in days. Only increases the more I think about it. Even so, I'm still haunted with what I said and now I feel that Milo is ignoring me because he's putting ideas into his own head.

When in fact, I only said what I said because I was angry and felt betrayed.

I never once thought he was disgusting. I'm the disgusting one for saying such cruel things. Everyone has a past, everyone has feelings. It was totally uncalled for and now I need to fix this before it spirals and I lose Milo for good.

My eyes flick towards Imogen as she stands and watches us. "I have to go and do something," I mutter before turning towards my father.

His nostrils flare. "We're in the middle of training."

"And if I don't do this now, I'll be assy for the rest of the week. Please just trust me and let me go, I have to sort something out before I end up destroying myself." I focus my eyes on my fathers, noticing the deep wrinkles in his skin.

When he says nothing more I take a step back, earning a firm nod from Imogen. She doesn't know about Milo but she could tell something was off, we all support each other and our needs. If someone needs a break, needs to fix their temperament–we understand that.