forty-seven; dead bond

♥

My arms have never worked so quickly in my life. I don't even remember when I started crying but my entire face is wet and I'm trying to hold back my sobs so I can focus on finding Milo.

The thought of him being down here. Alone. Terrified.

If he's not alive–I cut off my train of thought before I break down.

My entire body shakes as I rip the dirt from the ground, as deep and rapidly as I can. I take two deep breaths to calm down my heart but it's racing like an alarm and I can't stop it. Not until I know that he's okay.

I focus on the scents around me but now I cannot detect Milo at all. What does that mean?

What if he's not even here and I'm wasting time?

A thousand different questions run through my head and I attempt to push them away for a moment. I have to focus on one thing at a time or I'll never find him. The beast inside me lingers at the surface and gives me a boost of energy to dig this hole deeper until my knuckles hit something with a thud.

For a second I pause and suck in a breath, my vision blurry from my tears. I knock on it again and find my skin connecting with heavy wood. I grit my teeth and push up more of the dirt so I can get a better grip on the vertical door.

My stomach churns. Did Henry bury him alive? Oh God. I think I'm about to vomit.

How long has he been down here?

I can't be too late. Fuck. My hands shake violently. Whatever I'm going to find, it's going to shatter me to pieces regardless.

My fingers hook under the ridge of the door and I step out of the hole to pry it off. At first I growl out loud as if it's been bolted on and no one can enter. But I refuse to sit here and give up. Not when I could lose my mate forever.

"Come. On." I grit my teeth together and feel the pull on the tips of my fingers. I almost rip through my nails but right now it's the least of my worries.

I shout at the top of my lungs as the top of the door pops off and I feel my shoulders drop with instant relief. Once it's peeled from the top, I yank it from the bottom. I glance down to meet my beautiful Milo's face.

My lips quiver at the sight of him. His lips are turning a light shade of blue, his skin so pale that I fear to touch it and his entire body is wrapped up in silver to the point that his wrists and legs are smeared in blood from the depths of the cuts.

"Oh my God," I whimper as I lean down to retrieve his lifeless body. "Milo. MILO!"

The silver burns my chest and arms as I attempt to tug him out of the wooden coffin and onto the grass. I grit my teeth at the pain against my bare skin, reminding myself that I am not a priority here.