17 | W H Y

"Stiles,"

"Stiles,"

Maisie's eyes widened as she watched her best friend's actions, her voice barely audible as she muttered his name. There was no trace of judgment or pity in her gaze, only concern and understanding.

She understood all too well how the scares had turned him to hate his body. She felt the same way once her own scars started to increase over the years. 

Once a wound has healed, sometimes it can leave a scar, and sometimes the scar can be the hardest part to accept. Having a permanent reminder of what happened, a constant reminder of the horrors of their past, and leaving no room for the person to escape.

"Oh...my.." Phil's heart sank as he took in the sight of his nephew's scar-covered back. His mind raced with questions but a part of his hesitated to ask, fearing the answer he would receive.

His guilt seeping through as his body tenses, he couldn't help but blame himself for this even though Stiles hadn't explained anything, yet he knew straight away that this was his fault.

Every year especially when his birthday was close he would reassure himself that he was doing the right thing, the no phone calls and stopping his visits.

He really believed that by keeping his distance, he was protecting Stiles from the dangers of his job. However, now it seems his effort to keep his nephew hidden and safe didn't matter because in the end he still got harmed.

The man was drowning in regret, he had been so consumed by his job, so focused on keeping his distance that he didn't take a second to think that Noah, his own father could be the danger.

"Stiles? What happened?" He finally asks swallowing the lump in his throat.

The two teens freeze, their own hearts heavy with the weight of their past back home. They had already faced the accusations and blame back in Beacons Hills and now the thought of that conversation again scared them.

The question uttered filled with sadness and sorrow, pierced through her heart at the thought of whether they would still feel the same once they knew the truth. The fear of rejection creeps in, casting a shadow over her hopes for acceptance and understanding.

Stiles lets out a sigh, the uncertainty covering his face as he takes a seat at the table. "It was late at night; Roscoe had broken down again, so I was trying to fix him up." He states.

"Stiles" Maisie hisses out, she could sense that Stiles was completely oblivious to the potential consequences of his words, unaware of what could happen if he continued to speak.

"I don't recall a Roscoe being mentioned," Thor interrupts in confusion.

"His Jeep." For a moment the girl's frustration vanishes as she rolls her eyes in amusement as she remembers how delicate Stiles would always be with his car.

Tony raises an eyebrow at Stiles. "You named your Jeep Roscoe?"

"He did," Maisie confirms with a playful smile.

Cutting the light-hearted atmosphere, Clint clears his throat gaining everyone's attention. "No offense to your Jeep, Stiles." He states seriously yet still respectful "But we're getting a little off track here." He adds.

"Oh yeah," Stiles smiles sheepishly, his hand instinctively reaching up to scratch the back of his head awkwardly.

"Right." Phil nods his head in agreement with his boyfriend, before looking back towards his nephew. "So you were fixing Roscoe? What happened after that?" His eyes filled with love and concern for the person he left, thinking that by doing so he was protecting him.

"He came out of nowhere." His voice trembling as he spoke, filled with fear and panic. "He was so quick...one of his arms came around my neck and the other..." He pauses as the memories of that night start to invade his mind.

"He had a hole...in the middle of his hand." The teen furrows his eyebrows in concentration. "It was filled with teeth." Ignoring the following gasps, he continues "The closest thing to me was the wrench, and so I grabbed it and hit him." he confesses.

"And you got away?" Phill questions, his voice filled with hope that nothing else happened and his nephew was able to run away. Yet his gut feeling was telling him that this was just the beginning of what happened that night.

"No" Stiles firmly states, shaking his head as he looks towards his uncle. "Little Devil was at the library, I couldn't just leave her, I could never do that." He explains causing Maisie to smile at his words.

"You were there too?" Clint questions looking at the girl who slowly nods her head in response.

"There was construction being done," Maisie mumbles with a frown. "We started to climb one of the platforms to hide from him." her voice emotionless as spoke.

"Or tried too," Stiles adds in a whisper, but everyone still heard him.

"And?" Phil presses, wanting to know everything that happened that night.

"And we were too slow," Maisie states "He caught Stiles's leg, dragging him back down to the floor, the platform was unstable, and it collapsed." Her voice wavering as she notices they are getting to the end of the story.

Phill eyebrows furrow "Then how did you escape?"

Stiles's eyes widened as he finally understood why Maisie had tried to stop him from talking. He hadn't actually processed what had happened that night and what Maisie had done and now he found himself lost for words, unsure of what to say next.

Maisie casts a quick glance at her best friend, noticing the flicker of regret in his eyes as if he had just understood what he had just done.

Biting her bottom lips, she hesitantly speaks up "Uhm, he, umm..."

Stiles interrupts her, "There were a bunch of poles on the platform, and when it collapsed, they all fell. One of them went straight through him."

Maisie was left speechless as she processed what Stiles had just done, not only to the Avengers but to his uncle he lied for her, and he protected her yet again. Closing her eyes, she sighed in relief that she wouldn't have to try and explain what happened actually happened.

However, a certain god tilts his head to the side, he observes the two teenagers with a sense of curiosity. The entirety of their story was overwhelming to process yet truthful, except for a small detail that sparked doubt within him.

Why did they lie about how Donovan died?

———-

Hope you enjoyed this chapter.

Sorry for late updates still really sick.