Chapter 2

The next morning, I felt very unwell, no matter how hard I tried to forget my nightmare.

I got out of bed, washed up, changed my clothes, and then headed towards Daniel's room.

The door was still locked. There had been times when Daniel secluded himself for a day, needing some alone time, but whenever I needed him, he would choose me over solitude, which he might have needed.

Except for now. Daniel didn't respond, didn't open the door for me.

I tried to peek through the keyhole, but the room was pitch dark. So I gave up on my attempts and sadly headed towards the kitchen.

As I arrived on the ground floor, right before entering the kitchen, I noticed a note on the front door.

"Since I didn't expect new people, and we don't have supplies for five people that would last for more than a day, I will try to find something today. Hopefully, I'll be back by evening.

Adam."

I understand that he just wants to protect us, but we are already trained, and I know we could defend ourselves. If more of us went, it would be much easier for him.

When I entered the kitchen, Alex, who was sitting at the table, looked up at me. He was in the middle of eating a sandwich.

"Bon appétit," I said as I opened one of the cabinets.

"Thanks, but I've just finished. Do you want the last one? I'm good," Alex replied.

"Really?"

"Of course."

"Thank you." I sat down across from him, and he pushed the plate toward me. His gaze remained fixed on me.

"Yes?" I eventually asked, as his staring was starting to irritate me.

"Is something wrong?" he replied.

"You're staring. It's annoying."

"We talked about this yesterday. I'm just observing."

"You're not very good at it. You're not supposed to make it obvious."

"But it's more fun this way, seeing your reactions," he said with a satisfied grin.

I stood up, picked up the plate, and was about to leave the kitchen to go to my room, away from him. However, when I heard his footsteps, I stopped and turned towards him.

"Now you're following me?" I asked, trying to sound angry.

"It's not like you're that interesting," he replied casually. "There's only one way out of the kitchen if you haven't noticed in the three years you've been here. And our rooms are in the same direction, so..."

I could feel my face burning. He knows what he's doing. He knows he's annoying me, knows he's making me uncomfortable, and he enjoys it.

He read the message on the door and then reached for the doorknob.

"What are you doing?" I asked suddenly.

"Isn't it obvious?" he replied calmly. "I'm going out."

"But it could be dangerous alone, with no weapon," I blurted out.

He turned towards me, and if looks could kill, I'd be dead already.

"Which one of us tried to survive out there for three years, protecting her sister, and which one of us enjoyed safety in this house? We're both alive, but we've lived very differently. Don't tell me what's dangerous. It might be dangerous for you. I was about to ask you to come out with me earlier, but if you find it so fri—"