Chapter 7

By the time we reached the city, it was getting brighter, so we no longer needed our flashlights. Most of the journey was quiet, with everyone lost in their own thoughts. Sarah asked about Dorian once, but I told her we'd talk about it later and asked her to leave me alone for a bit. I didn't want to be the one to reveal who Dorian really was; that would be Daniel's job.

The city was silent. We expected there wouldn't be any people in the city, but we believed the Dark Ones had completely taken over the cities. The sign also suggested that we should stay away from cities because they weren't safe.

But seemingly, it was completely empty so far.

As we followed Alex and Sarah, a realization washed over me. Twice.

I saw this city in my dream with that man.

That's how I know I used to live in this city. The house where I saw him was my home. It's where I had to escape from three years ago.

"I heard that people from the Camp are sent out to search the cities every month. Lately, they even leave traces so that we can find them if we need help. We have no idea where the Camp is from here, so I suggest we stay in the city and look for clues," Sarah suggested.

"And where do we stay? Where can we set up camp?" Luna asked.

"Truthfully, we could stay in any of the houses. They're all empty," Alex replied.

"You can't know that. There might still be someone living in one of them; they're just not here right now," Lisa interjected.

"Let's go to my house," I said firmly, before Alex or anyone else could respond to Lisa's comment. "I lived in this city... If they know me in the Camp, they might also know where my family's house is. We might find a message or a clue there. Or even people. In my dream, a man was at my house one day."

"Good idea," Daniel said as he approached me, but his gaze avoided mine.

"We also live nearby. I was going to suggest that we could stay at our place, but you're right. We have a better chance of finding something at your house. But if you don't mind, I'd like to make a quick visit to my home," Sarah looked around, waiting to see if anyone would object to her request.

"I think it's better to check both houses. One of them might be in better condition, and it's also possible that there are still people from the Camp in the city. If we're lucky, we might run into them," Daniel suggested. "Let's split up. One group goes to Ana's house, the other to Sarah and Alex's home."

Everyone nodded.

"Where should we meet afterward? Which group should head to the other?" Sarah asked.

"First, let's form the teams. I'll stay with Ana." - said Daniel.

"Could I go alone? I just... I'd like to—"

"You absolutely cannot go alone," Alex interrupted, surprising me with the seriousness in his voice. And the fact that he was the one to oppose the idea the fastest.

Here he goes again. Playing games with me once more. Now he wants to make me believe he cares, but later, he won't want to hear a word about me. No, he's not worried. He's only concerned about Sarah. He probably wants me to stay with them for safety.

"Why?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

Alex sighed. "Neither of you knows where our house is, just as we don't know where your house is. I'll go with you, check your home, and leave a message for the Camp's residents in case they're still here and looking for you. That way, they'll be able to find us. Afterward, we'll join the others waiting for us with Sarah at our place."